USB as fast as Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Aug 1, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it sustained throughput. I have a Drobo Mini and the USB3 sustained throughput is inferior to what I'm getting inferior to TB

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

sorry to break it to you buddy but the new thunderbolt is going to be 20gbps, hopefully we see it in the new retina MacBook

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thunderbolt 2 is not due out until late 2013, which may be too late for the Haswell based MBPs. If apple is releasing the MBPs this fall, it will have the old thunderbolt controller chip.

Don't get me wrong I'm very impressed with the speed of TB in my rMBP but I think the timing is such that we'll not see it in this iteration

5. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt 2 is going to be 20Gbps, but the current Thunderbolt (1) is 10 Gbps, just like USB 3.1.

For those that don't want to pay premium prices for Thunderbolt hardware, USB 3.1 will offer Thunderbolt 1 speeds for a much lower price.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Well, USB 3.1 isn't here yet either. Don't expect to see it for a couple of years.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I dont know when they are going to implement usb 3.1, simply put it took some years to get traction for USB3, and soon we have the new USB3.1

the speeds are as usual theoretical, nothing achieves those

but its good, I hope that intel and amd implement this sooner

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

well..usb 3 drives are becoming common, but there's not a lot out for Thunderbolt. It's starting to look like only Apple will be using it. Didn't Asus drop TB on their systems recently?

9. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

well usb3 is from 2008 and its finally common

asus never used TB, there was only that pcie adaptor and I think one mobo with it, all their notebooks that were supposed to come with TB never came with one, acer and lenovo are the ones that used it last year

we still have to see what comes of TB this year

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Should be interesting to see if they can get TB to become more useful.

11. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Actually it is very possible.

Apple plans to release the Mac Pro this fall and that is going to have Thunderbol 2 for sure.

If the rMBP are released at the same time I do not see why they wont have it either.

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

We basically just got USB 3, and now there's 3.1?

13. Laco macrumors 6502

If there are no affordable devices that use the technology then it does not matter what the transfer speed is. The selection of Thunderbolt devices is very small compared to USB 3 and those devices that use Thunderbolt are much more expensive. Personally I am very happy to hear this news. I am sure that I will eventually buy some device that use USB 3.1 and I can't say that about Thunderbolt.

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Right now, I can plug my external mouse, keyboard, ethernet cable and USB external storage into my TB display, and plug my MBP into the TB display when I get to work. Very convenient. I don't think USB can do this, be it 3.0 or 3.1.

By design, USB has more overhead, so even with the same theoretical speed, I think TB would still be up to twice as fast in benchmarks.

Anyways, the biggest problem seems adoption and pricing. USB technology is essentially free, the cost for a simple USB stick is probably below $1. TB on the other hand is very expensive... just the stupid cable is still $50, and it seems to be very hard to design a TB device below $200 due to the basic cost of the technology. So the range of applications for which it is worth using TB over USB is rather small. Add the limited availability of TB equipped computers, and you have a problem.

15. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

they

They move faster than any of us. Marketing is a devil's deed, who said it best? Who was that amazing comedian? Bill Hicks?

Anyways..

You might be fast now but blink your eyes and the next guy has USB 3.5 already in Japan and Germany.

Check it!

16. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

TB is for professionals, USB is for general use

unless you can tell me how to make something that needs active cables, expensive controllers and that needs through certification cheap, I would be very interested to hear and so will the entire industry

its from 2008 usb 3
    well for me it already is, there are docs now and pcie to TB adaptors, thats what I wanted from TB, now I want more speed on TB3

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yeah so what? When were the first USB 3 equipped MBPs/MBAs available? Oh yes, last year. And USB 2 devices are still sold widely.

18. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

so you are complaining that intel, one of the researchers in the USB consortium, took a long time to integrate the USB 3 controllers in the chipset, and thats why its too early. BTW AMD did that 1 year earlier in 2011, they are also one of the researchers for USB

aside that when do you think USB3.1 will be integrated on the chipsets? that is going to take some time

btw USB 2 is still used more widely because its cheaper to produce and some things dont need the added bandwidth

in the end it doesnt matter if you think its too soon or not, it matters when its going to happen

the interesting development of USB is the 100w possibility. Basically Im more interested in that, than in speed improvements. That would kill the market for custom psus and make things work, in general, with everything

19. B... macrumors 68000

B...

My comment was just that tech changes so quickly,because we get USB 3 in 2012 and there is new (albeit not market-ready), 2X faster tech in 2013. I couldn't care less about chipset integration or AMD in regards to this.

20. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

actually you care a lot, because thats why USB3 was introduced in 2012 for apple, that was when USB3 got integrated into the chipset

and as you can see tech doesnt change quickly, 2008, took 4 years to get that into the chipset, how many years will take for 3.1 to enter the chipset?

21. MJL macrumors 6502a

Right now I've got my external HDD plugged into my Broadband router, my wireless keyboard and mouse don't need plugging in. But if push comes to shove I plug my wired KB and wired mouse and SD card into my wide gamut, non PWM backlighted Dell U2713H and don't need no <fill in expletive> expensive TB for that.