Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wehrdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Midwest US
I recently got this USB sound card, and in the Audio MIDI Setup Utility I can choose it as the default output, and under the Output Tab choose 6 channel.

The problem is when I go to Configure Speakers. I can choose 5.1 setup, and click on each bubble and it will play out the respective speaker, but when I quit the application and re-open Audio MIDI Setup, 6 channel is still there, but under Configure Speakers, it reverts back to Stereo. Also, when I play a DVD in DVD Player or VLC, sound only player from two speakers and subwoofer.

Thanks you so much for your help!!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I have a very similar card with the same C-MEDIA chipset, can't get it to work at all. I even managed to find a simple driver for it which ended up allowing my 5.1 speakers to produce a burst of sound, but honestly you probably won't get this card to work at all. You'll need to buy speakers that send their sound over an optical connection.

Wehrdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Midwest US
EDIT: I have solved the issue. Apparently, you can only make changes to the multichannel setup under Configure Speakers when logged in as administrator, so if you log in as administrator and then set up your sound card settings, you can log in as your regular account and the settings have been changed.

DVD Player won't play DVD's in surround sound, but if you use VLC, you can play video files and DVDs in surround sound, because it sends the audio to the right channels instead of mixing it down to stereo.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a very similar card with the same C-MEDIA chipset, can't get it to work at all. I even managed to find a simple driver for it which ended up allowing my 5.1 speakers to produce a burst of sound, but honestly you probably won't get this card to work at all. You'll need to buy speakers that send their sound over an optical connection.

If I understood you right, your card doesn't work at all?

Everything for my card works, just not the surround sound. I can play stereo out of it fine, record through the microphone jack, and in the Audio MIDI Setup, play out of each speaker, but no surround sound.

Do you know of any special decoder for 5.1 sound? I think the DVD Player just sends the compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 from DVD's directly through the Toslink, so there is no decoding going on. Is a special decoder needed so it can be sent out the correct jacks in the USB card?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.