USB Audio Device - Soundtrack Pro - Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rustyb, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rustyb macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am trying to use my Fostex digital 8 track (MR 8-HD) recorder as an interface with Soundtrack Pro on my Mac (Mac Book Pro 17").

So far, the only audio that I am able to record is what get's picked up on the built-in mic.

I have tried using the available drop-downs (internal mic; internal device (?) etc.) - but I m still only able to pick up through the built-in mic.

I have checked under system preferences. I don't see the phrase USB anywhere.

On a PC based system, you would right-click the speaker icon and navigate to the recording settings on the mixer. I can't find anything quite similar on the MacBook Pro.

I'll point out that I am a novice on Mac! I bought the system so that I could get Final Cut Pro.

Do any of you know a solution to my problem?

Thanks!

"Rusty"
    Birmingham, AL

I might be wrong, but can you actually use that thing as an audio interface and record through it when connected to a Mac?

I thought that you had to record your files on that thing as it's a standalone device, and then you hook it up via USB and transfer the wave files over to the Mac if you want.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/music_products/mr8hd.shtml

WAV Manager for Mac is a utility software application that enables you to import each audio track from a song created by the MR-8 and MR-8HD (hereinafter called MR-8/HD) into the Mac as a standard mono WAV file (eight files for an 8-track song). Also, WAV file data created and edited in the Mac can be exported to MR-8/HD.

3. rustyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Black MacBook!

Yeah, I was hoping that the audio signal might pass through the USB connection. I was hoping that I could use something I already have rather than buying a new interface! Me being cheap!

Can you recommend a good interface at an inexpensive price? I was thinking of one of those Behringer 4-8 channel mixers with USB - something like that.

But back to the original question - will a USB mixer (like the Behringer) appear on the input selector?

Thanks again!

"Rusty"

4. dodge this macrumors member

I use several USB audio interfaces and they all appear in the input selector. I have only had one that I had to go find drivers for.

Now you may not be able to edit your input levels, but the input itself still appears as an option to choose.

5. NorCalB macrumors newbie

"one" by apogee

the apogee "one" is ****ing Fantastic!
    apple and apogee together are flawless.

"one" is an interface that Rocks however way you look at it.

there are some videos on Apogee's site that introduce this
    professional USB Music interface .

hit up

http://video.apogeedigital.com/category/products/one-by-apogee/

6. tranzmute macrumors newbie

Hi

Apogee gear is basically beautiful, luckily in my job I get to play with all the new gear :D

So... dont forget to have a look at

www.focusrite.com
    Checkout the saffire 6 USB, flawless on a MAC or PC with great MIC pre's

Also dont forget any gear by TC Electronics or Presonus.

If you want an uber-cheap solution look at the Alesis Linelink
    http://www.alesis.com/linelink

Simple, and to hook up your fostex...it works.

Cheers

Tranzmute