USB Audio Devices

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lonegeek, Sep 21, 2008.

1. lonegeek macrumors member

lonegeek

Mac mini doesn't like me anymore. The sound output device is no longer detected and all attempts to cure him have left me without audio. Other voiceless mac minis

I see that people seem to use a griffin imic2, but at 40 dollars; I'd rather not. So what would you recommend the cheapest and best usb audio device is?

Thanks, zach.

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Have you tried checking that FoxConn ribbon cable (as suggested some way down the link you posted)?

Next, try probing about inside the audio out port with a long match or toothpick - be careful not to break it - computer switched OFF, to see if the isolating switch is stuck open.

You may actually have to open up your Mini to do both the above. There's plenty of video how-to on YouTube about that.

Last - Griffin, Logitech and Belkin (in that order) have a range of audio i/o units that work with Mac.

3. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

I've tried the foxconn ribbon cable. Its fine on the back of the cd drive. I can't check underneath where it connects( although that doesn't seem to be where people talk of it coming out.) I guess I will try the toothpick trick.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Let us know how you get on.