Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjhann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
hi,
please could someone tell me what USB 2.0 interface or USB mixer for 16-bit professional audio quality recordings for my new macbook (with 4GB upgrade and no firewire)

i want to create some tracks on the MPC 2500 then send them in stereo to logic for editing EQ/Compression etc.. (unless the effecs/eq is better on a usb mixer instead of what's in logic pro 9 as far as audio quality is concerned... someone please tell me...lol)

plus i also want to use a midi keyboard to record using the bulit in sounds in logic pro 9.
i will be only be recording one track at a time into the macbook as ill be making simple hip hop beats with no need of using more than 16 channels in total for any song...

is something like the "Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0 Mixer" what i need are far as professional audio quality is concerned

or is it something as simple as a usb audio interface is what i only need

Thanks!

Serge88

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
I use for recording audio,
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?Prod=UA-1G
for midi,
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?Prod=UM-1G

If you want to save money forget the alexis mixer, usually people record one track at a time and mix with Logic. Apogee Duet have positive review. Record in 24 bits and use 16 bits for final step. Try Garageband it's free.
No matter what you buy make sure the driver is up to date and there's a mac osx snowleopard driver.

Here's a recording I did with my setup and garageband.
http://www.box.net/shared/tob48slcso

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"please could someone tell me what USB 2.0 interface or USB mixer for 16-bit professional audio quality recordings for my new macbook (with 4GB upgrade and no firewire)"

"Professional" quality?
Then, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/RME-Fireface-UC-USB-Interface/dp/B002N12DM2

If that's a little high for your budget, then I'd suggest something like the M-Audio "Fast Track Ultra" which offers a good complement of inputs/outputs for a LOT less $$$.

There are a few good demo videos of how to use the Fast Track Ultra on youtube.

I wouldn't recommend the Alesis. You _don't_ want a "mixer" when you _need_ an "interface".

slowtraveler

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Boston, MA USA
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra gets good reviews, as Fishrrman noted. Also consider:

Avid ProTools Mbox (new 4-channel USB interface with built-in MIDI and S/PDIF I/O, and well as onboard DSP and useful monitoring features, and a bundled copy of ProTools LE 8), or;

sound devices USBPre 2 (an extremely high-quality 2-channel USB interface with flexible I/O. Very well-built, useful for remote recording etc., and class-compliant for Mac OS X 10.4 and above--no software driver required).

mjhann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
i wont be able to get the apogee duet cos its firewire and it looks like im gonna be getting the apogee ONE.. i like the fact that it can be simply connected to powered monitors using a stereo mini jack 3.5mm(1/8") to 2x mono 6.3mm (1/4")...

cheers for all the responses people!

slowtraveler

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Boston, MA USA
The Apogee One looks like a nice little box. You did notice that it only has one input channel, right? You wouldn't be able to use it to record stereo tracks into Logic from external instruments, as you mentioned you intended to do in your original post. As long as you're cool with recording only mono, should work well.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have seemingly simpler requirements, but use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, which works well.

mjhann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
"You did notice that it only has one input channel, right? You wouldn't be able to use it to record stereo tracks into Logic from external instruments, as you mentioned you intended to do in your original post."

cheers for slowtraveler... not long noticed myself... that'll be no good for me then... if only i had firewire i woulda got the apogee duet... :(

looks like it may have to be the new Avid Pro Tools Mbox or the mini version of it...

still not gonna rush into buying one yet without extensivley looking into most of 'em

ViM

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Australia
I'm also looking at usb audio interfaces and my shortlist for my price range and the need to record in stereo has resolved down to the m-audio fast track pro, focusrite saffire 6 usb, and the presonus audiobox. I think all of these have midi in/out and would satisfy your needs. From what I gather in reviews, in this price range they are all effectively the same quality and it just goes down to user preference in regards to ergonomics and the price of the interface depending on your location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.