USB Audio Interface Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DellSchmell, Jan 30, 2010.

1. DellSchmell macrumors newbie

So I post guitar tutorial video's on Youtube, which require guitar and vocal to be recorded. However, the standard mic built in to my laptop (I have a 13" Macbook) is less than I want in terms of audio quality, so I bought an external microphone and a Griffin iMic. Now, the problem I have is that my microphone doesn't pick up my voice and my guitar, and there is only one port on the iMic for recording, meaning I can't record vocals and guitar simultaneously. I can't record them separately, because I do a sort of commentary, which is hard to record over the top, really hard. So I'm thinking, do I need a better external mic, which will pick up both vocals and guitar, or do I need an audio interface (I think that's what it's called) that can simultaneously record both guitar and vocals, by having a mic plugged into it for my voice, and my guitar plugged into it also.
    Please help.

2. s2944 macrumors newbie

newb to newb:
    Couple of thoughts:
    Since you didnt mention an amp, assume you are doing acoustic w/voice. In any event, you really should think about two mics into some sort of USB or Firewire interface that acts as a mixer. (AudioFire, MAudio, there are many.) All usually come with mixing software, and you can route the two mics one per channel and adjust the balance. Or, directly connect the guitar to one input and the mic to another.
    Then suggest you do the commentary after you do the song - use a freeware program like Amadeus Pro or Audacity- that will let you talk over the song on a different track, then mix those tracks together.
    The single mic approach is very difficult for two sources, but can be helped by using baffles and experimenting with placement of the mic and your voice and guitar.
    good luck
    d

3. DellSchmell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your speedy response. What I want, is something I can plug my microphone and guitar into. And I don't really want to use a mic on the guitar, but be able to plug my guitar straight into it. Then I'd like to be able to record through Photo Booth or iMovie with the sound input coming solely, and simultaneously from my microphone, and from my guitar. Is this possible?

Will this do the trick? -
    http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/samson-gtrack-usb-condenser-mic-audio-interface-for-guitar-p-318.html
    -Thanks