USB audio interfaces under OSX 10.5.6

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by andyr2120, Feb 16, 2009.

1. andyr2120 macrumors member

Is it me, or does it seem like every USB audio device out there is reported to have trouble running under 10.5.6? I've been researching products like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or the emu 0404, and about 20 or more other products in the same range. A lot of the official support boards for these products state that their drivers are still in beta for 10.5.6. They say that Apple made changes to their USB support recently. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I don't have enough confidence to buy any of these devices right now.

Thanks!

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The 24" LED MiniDP display is a USB audio device, that works OK under 10.5.6.

3. andyr2120 thread starter macrumors member

OK, well more specifically I am looking into devices that record at least two channels of audio in 24 bit/48khz or better quality. Devices like the M-Audio or Emu products I mentioned.

One of the manufacturers indicated that basic functions would work in OSX 10.5.6 using a generic (my interpretation) driver that is shipped in OSX, but that achieving higher audio quality or recording more than two simultaneous channels would require their custom device driver. That driver is still in beta and has no signs of coming out. That's where I'm going with this question...

4. pnoisgr8 macrumors newbie

I'm with you on this one...

I have also been in the market for a A/D converter and I don't wanna go with Firewire (cause Apple is removing it) but all the USB devices have driver issues. Not sure when It'll get fixed but I hope soon. Anyhow, you're not the only one.

--pnoisgr8

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I can't speak for all brands, but M-Audio has always been slack with driver support. Plus much of their stuff is of disappointing build quality anyway, to put it mildly.

If you have the option of using a Firewire audio interface instead, then i'd really recommend going this route.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

That is my opinion too. Either just go with the built-in Mac OS X drivers or go with Firewire. If all you are doing is two channels of audio at 24 bits by 44.1K then USB will do fine.

If you can use channels of 16-bits at 44.1K then the built-in interface will do that if you get an outboard preamp for the mics

7. Maczamillion macrumors newbie

Maczamillion

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i'm confused :confused:

i've got a m audio fast track pro and it works fine under 10.5.6, no problem using either garageband, cubase or logic

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

• Are you able to combine it with other audio devices and create an "aggregative device"?
    • Are you able to record 24 bit samples?
    • Are you able to record 96K samples per second?
    • What is the length of your longest un-interrupted recording?
    • Is the audio interface connected via a hub.
    • Is there a disk drive also on the same USB chain?

I think the reason it works for some and not others in because some people define "works" differently. From what I'm reading here and in other places is that the interface works OK if you don't try any of the odd cases.

If you read the m-audio web site they claim only a beta level drive forthe previous release of Mac OS X and nothing more. m-audio makes no claim that the device works at all with 10.5.6 although it clearly works for many people. I asjked directly if maybe it was just that the web site was out of date andthe answer from m-audo tech suport of "no, we are working on it.". But I don't doubt it works for many people

10. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

1. never tried
    2. yes
    3. yes, but don't
    4. maybe about 5 mins
    5. connected straight to my macbook
    6. no

i had a few problems at first, but had to mess around with a few things like screen saver times and turning off airport to sort them out.

11. mim macrumors 6502

NI Audio Kontrol 1

Just got an Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.

Seems to do everything you want and more. There's also a slighly higher spec version with more ins/outs.

If latency is a real issue for you I wouldn't put a drive and the interface on the same port, but I'd suggest that for firewire too. Stick the interface in one port and daisy chain the drive with your mouse/keyboard/control surface/whatever.

a.