USB audio issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NYY FaN, Mar 19, 2014.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I recently purchased an AudioEngine D1 DAC and ever since I have had some issues where my audio will get distorted when playing youtube videos or skype calls. It goes away when refresh the page or close/reopen the program. That issue has subsided over time, although it does pop up every so often still.. but now the real issue is when I try to capture system audio when recording gameplay videos via wirecast or screenflow. The audio gets captured distorted/garbled when I go to play it back before exporting. My voice over comes through clearly though - I use a scarlett focusrite 2i4 with an XLR mic for this. Also, when I disconnect my DAC or have my imac set to play through the internal speakers, it captures the audio on my system just fine.

I've read that some people have had issues with usb audio on imacs, no matter what dac or usb audio device. I have a late-2012 imac with a fusion drive. I've also read that the FD imacs seem to be vulnerable to audio issues. I've tried tinkering with bit-rates through the Audio midi setup, no luck. Does anyone have any insight on this?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just some thoughts...

What version of the OS do you use?
    If you use Mavericks, have you updated to 10.9.2?

I don't have a Focusrite. But I seem to recall reading that there were some driver problems with Focusrite USB interfaces vs. Mavericks. I also saw (someplace else) that there may be a beta driver or an "older" driver that can fix the problems.

You need to do some more "exploring around" for the solution, but I think there is one available.

Have you spent some time searching the "digital audio" forum here at macrumors.com ??

You also might try gearslutz.com to see what folks there say.

3. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I am running 10.9.2. I just found a long going thread on GS that mentioned its an imac/fusion drive model issue. It doesn't seem to be related to my scarlett as it is just handling my XLR mic, but the DAC that handles my speakers/usb audio. Once I remove sound output through the DAC I am able to capture system audio just fine and I don't get distortion in other program audio.

Apparently Apple is aware of the issue and supposedly 10.9.2 said there was a fix for this, but everyone is still experiencing the same problems. Very disappointed that my $3,000 machine won't allow me to do what I need it to do without an inconvenient work around.

4. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Any updates?
    I have a 2013 iMac running 10.10.3
    D1 hooked up to a2
    Noticed static/distortion only on web video
    No issues with iTunes,etc
    Tried a bunch of stuff
    Nothing worked. Mine too has a fusion drive

Thanks