USB Audio Out -to- USB Audio In (Anybody know how?)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ziggyonice, May 31, 2010.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm trying to hook up my Mac's USB audio output -to- another device's USB audio input.

The device I'm hooking up has a USB Audio INPUT that is expecting a USB mic to be plugged in.

I want to trick the device and instead of plugging in a mic, have it plugged into my Mac's USB audio output.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Thanks!

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Construct a device that goes between them of course, since no such thing exists.

Now, I don't know what you are trying to hook it up to, but since it connects to a USB mic I'm guessing it works as a host controller, which is the same function your computer has. I haven't tried it, but I doubt that you can connect two USB hosts.

You also talk about your Mac's USB audio, which is a bit confusing since your Mac doesn't have USB audio; it has USB ports to which you can connect devices, among others audio interfaces. If you have a USB audio interface the audio outs on that will most likely be 1/8" stereo or 1/4" mono pairs. What you could do if you have both an audio interface and a USB mic is to take apart the mic and solder on the necessary connectors on to the device, maybe after the preamp circuit in the mic.

There might be an easier way, but since you didn't say what you're trying to accomplish then it will remain a mystery.

3. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, being more specific might help. Promise not to laugh though.

I'm wanting to hook my Mac up to my PS3. The PS3 works with nearly any USB-based microphones; instead, I'd like to hook my Mac up to it and use the audio coming from my Mac to play though to the PS3. I want the PS3 to think my Mac is a mic, and meanwhile be able to play music, videos, etc. on my Mac and have the audio transferred to the PS3.

Something tells me it's going to be more than just connecting a USB cable between the two, but I don't know. Haven't tried that yet, actually.

4. newuser2310 macrumors regular

5. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I appreciate the effort, but that's not what I'm wanting to accomplish whatsoever. :)

I'm just wanting to trick my PS3 into thinking I have a USB mic plugged in, when in fact it would actually be my Mac plugged in. This isn't a matter of customizing the PS3 — it's a matter of figuring out what cables and/or equipment I need to do this. So the question is, how can I turn my USB audio output on my Mac -into- a USB mic?

(This is why I didn't mention the PS3 in the original post... because it has nothing to do with the PS3.)

6. newuser2310 macrumors regular

what exactly do you want to accomplish???

You can't send any audio out of your usb port.

Unless you have a usb soundcard, but that would have normal audio outputs, not usb.

/facepalm

7. djdavidgallant macrumors member

djdavidgallant

newuser2310 is correct. Facepalm

The usb jack will not just stream audio out of the computer. A USB soundcard can stream audio from your system to a set of analog or digital jacks, like RCA or optical.

To make your macbook into a USB microphone, you would need a male to male usb cable, and to create software to accomplish this.

8. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Macs can use USB as a digital audio output. By connecting a standard USB (male to male) cable between your Mac and a digital receiver, audio can be played via this medium.

[​IMG]

I'm wanting to take the audio and feed it to my PlayStation. The reason why I know this is possible is because anytime I connect a USB microphone to my PlayStation, it instantly recognizes it and enables me to speak. I basically what to do the same thing, but have the audio come from my Mac, instead of from a mic.

9. newuser2310 macrumors regular

10. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

No computer (including macs) sends audio per se via a USB port... There's no such thing as a "USB audio port" without an audio device connected. What the computer (and any USB audio device, including your USB mic) does is sending information packets to/from a recognized USB audio device that are encoded/decoded into audio with the device and software (such as a USB soundcard, USB Speakers or a USB microphone that do the encoding/decoding process)... so what you are trying to do (if I understand correctly) - directly connecting them - is impossible. That's not how USB or Firewire audio work. If you wish to combine two USB audio signals, you can try soundflower as a virtual mixer - but all signals must've been decoded into audio before that.

cheers!

Edit - I don't know, however, if the PS3 can be recognized by OS X as a stand-alone sound device (as an external audio interface?) via USB... or the other way around, that the PS3 recognizes the mac's USB port as an audio source.... I really wouldn't think so, but I may be wrong.

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I have to admit it's the first time I've ever heard of something like that. Either it's a) specific to the Macbook Pro (it's not an option on my Mac mini), b) a new feature in 10.6, or c) you've got a device connected that works as an audio interface.

If you've got any links with info (preferrably on apple.com) it might give more info to those trying to help.

12. newuser2310 macrumors regular

OP you mentioned that you have connected your mac to a\v receiver via usb????

The receiver is probably acting as external soundcard. The PS3 cannot perform this function as far as I'm aware.

If you simply streamed your media like I suggested then you would already be up and running.

:eek:

13. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yep, I think you're right about this. The option for USB audio output doesn't show up on my Mac until I connect it to my stereo's receiver. So the receiver is probably what's doing the decoding.

That being said then, I've got two questions. When connecting a USB headset or mic to the PS3, it is able to use it without any problem -- isn't this the same thing? Also, because the PS3 (most likely) will be unable to transcribe the audio via USB, what would I need to make it work? An external soundcard?

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

14. newuser2310 macrumors regular

The mic is essentially acting as a usb soundcard. It converts the analogue(your speech) into a digital format that the ps3 can recognize.

Your receiver is doing the opposite, converting the digital signal from your mac and playing it back through your speakers.

Your ps3 has no audio input.

You can either use the streaming software like i suggested or copy your media to a usb thumb drive or external hard drive that you connect via usb.

got there in the end!:eek:

15. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

No. The explanation is in my previous post above.

An external audio interface will do no difference.... even if it had a dedicated extra USB audio output (I don't know of any audio interface that has one in the professional audio realm), it still wouldn't be recognized by the PS3 as an audio source. The best you can do, is to stream the audio analogically (from your mac or from the audio interface), if the PS3 has a line input. You can also store your music in the PS3 and play it from there, or bypass the PS3 and connect your computer directly (analog) to the sound system or TV.

cheers!