USB/Backup and rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squidkitten, Sep 17, 2014.

1. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Hey all. So I upgraded to a rMBP a month ago and I love it. Only problem is that my backup hard drive is one that requires it to be plugged into two USB ports that need to be right next to each other. This poses a problem considering the two my new machine have are on opposite ends. It's a really great hard drive and I really don't want to pay for a new one. Do you think if I bought a USB hub and plugged it into there it should work just fine? Will it be significantly slower?

Also, does anyone have any USB hub recommendations that are pretty fair priced? I'd only really be using it for backups onto this one hard drive so I'm not looking for anything fancy. The hard drive is USB 2.0 btw.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as you get a AC powered hub, that should overcome the power issue. I like the Belkin powered hubs. Just search Amazon for however many ports you need.

3. squidkitten thread starter macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Thank you very much! Turns out I need to make a genius bar appointment for this weekend and I need to make sure I'm backed up!

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

See if it works with just the main USB plugged in. Sometimes they include a y cable like that in case the computer is not providing enough power over one port. Most newer mac computers provide enough power to power it off one USB. it won't break anything, it just won't mount if it doesn't have enough power.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned the best way to deal with this, is a powered USB hub,. If you have an external monitor with your MBP, that may have some USB ports as well.