USB Blu-Ray for Retina MPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dokk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dokk macrumors regular

Hi folks,

My rMBP is coming in soon and I was wondering if anyone has purchased a USB Blu-Ray for theirs. All of the bus-powered modes I can find have two USB plugs (one for data, one for power ... allegedly). On the rMBP, there aren't two USB ports next to each other -- instead, the two ports are on opposite sides of the computer.

Now, most of the BR drives *should* be able to run off just one USB plug, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm success with this. If you've gotten one to work with just one plug, which model? I've been looking at these:

Samsung: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-50.../B006B7R9QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345087675

LG: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Portable-B.../B006X2HD2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345087772

OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSBD6X/

Any thoughts?

2. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I bought the LG and it works off just one of the rmbp usb ports.

3. stoplis macrumors regular

I have the samsung one (but bd reader only) and it runs fine off just one USB, but when I tried a longer single cable it wouldn't work so make sure you use the cable that comes with it.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

5. Dokk thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks for the responses, y'all. I'll order one of them tomorrow. :)

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

I bought that Samsung Bluray burner/reader for $50 off ebay and have been using it with all my Macs without any issues.

7. sciguy macrumors newbie

Am also getting a rMBP soon, waiting for the delivery. Read some of the reviews on the samsung se-506ab and the lg bp40ns20, some mac users did mention it's possible to power it up only with 1 usb connection but some claims 2 is a must.

Hence would really wish the owners of rMBP with samsung or lg bluray external drive give me some advice. Would it be 1 usb for read only and 2 usb if u want to burn cd/dvd/bd

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

How long would a USB2 blu-ray burner take to write a 25GB disc? I cringe to think!

9. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

I just bought this ASUS which has pretty good reviews on amazon!

I just bought the ASUS SBC-06D2X-U External Slim Blu-ray Combo
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843681-REG/ASUS_SBC_06D2X_U_SBC_06D2X_U_External_Slim_Blu_ray.html

It was only $79.99 w/ FREE Shipping and a $20 MIR = $59.99

----------

You could get one of the big clunky looking USB 3.0 Blu-ray writers?

10. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I have the Samsung drive. It works fine with a single usb plug so long as I'm just reading discs. Works directly from the rMBP, from the TB monitor hub, or my powered USB 2.0 Hub.

If I wish to burn discs, I have to have both USB plugs plugged in or I get a message that a device is trying to draw too much power.

I've had success in plugging the power-only USB plug into an USB charger (used the iPad charger, for example) to provide the second connection.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

12. RMSko macrumors 6502

You can also get a usb extender for one of the usb connectors, if you ever need to use the second connection. I do that with my DVD player and it works great.

13. kakwvu macrumors newbie

Are there USB 3.0 drives out yet? I hadn't seen any in my searches.

14. sciguy macrumors newbie

Thx for the clarification. I believe all the usb powered drives work that way too. 1 usb for read only and 2 for writing disc. Still deciding samsung or lg slim drive, but will get the usb extension incase my usb battery charger hub not working (max 1.2A)

15. SlyMac macrumors 6502

16. kakwvu macrumors newbie