USB Blu Ray with iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oosk2k11, Jan 3, 2012.

1. oosk2k11 macrumors newbie

yo I have the may 2011 iMac high-end model with Bootcamp Windows 7 64-Bit.

i would like to use a USB Blu Ray drive to watch movies, but I downloaded the Cyberlink Blu Ray Disc Advisor, which spits out some results:

The graphics card (amd radeon hd 6970m) is HDCP compliant.

However, it says the display is not. Is this true, and is there a solution? Word on the internet is that it's a driver issue? However, I'm a little confused as it says the graphics card is compliant.

Any help would be mucho appreciata.

Cheers.

2. Tec972 macrumors regular

I am currently using the LG BE12LU38 Super Multi Blue - BD-RE drive on a mid 2010 core i7 imac. My mac has a ATI radeon 5750 it think. The drive will work on an imac and I can watch BD movies right from the disk. However, third party software is required which can be found here: http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

You can use the software for free, but it will have text in the middle of the screen until you purchase the software. I, unlike most people don't have much reason to watch BD on the mac. I would rather sit on my couch and watch it on a screen twice the size or lay in bed and watch a movie there.

Another thing to consider and some may disagree (of course) is that when you watch a BD in full screen on a mac the picture is not as great as you may think, because the screen resolution is 2560x1440 and you are filling it with a 1920x1080 resolution picture. Keep in mind too that you sit much closer to a computer screen than you would a TV. Don't get me wrong the picture is fine but it's just more appealing to watch on my plasma. Conversely, higher resolution photography looks so much better on my mac's screen than it does on the TV of course.

I primarily got the drive for ripping my cd collection and it works great for that because the superdrive is awful. It's slow and I was starting to have intermittant problems with it dropping audio during the rip. There would just be silience in the middle of the first track every once in a while. This new drive is fast on rips, I typically am ripping at around 17x on the first track and close to 40x by the last track.

3. kmia macrumors newbie

Hi, Just a quick question - do you use LG BE12LU38 with your mac for data backup, disc writing etc.? It says it only supports OS windows, so not sure whether it would be a good buy for a newbie mac user. Many thanks.