Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Central N.M.
It was suggested to me that getting this dongle [ the suggester's word ] would likely increase the utility of a magic track pad 2 on my antiquated 10.10.5 system. I did not do the research before purchasing on of these TP2's. I can use it plugged in but the functionality is reduced by more than 50% imho. I don't have the correct version of blue tooth and may not be able to run it in my current setup.

Can anyone shed some light on this please? If there is some reading I should do I'd be happy to do that. But I don't really know where to begin

I thank you for your time.

Ron

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I remember reports at the time that although it says it requires bluetooth 4.0, older bluetooth worked fine (just at a cost of reduced time between charging.) I think you have to be on 10.11 (El Capitan) however, 10.10.5 (Yosemite) does not work as it does not have the correct drivers.

In addition, if you are willing to keep the lighting cable plugged into the trackpad, you don't need the bluetooth even on, it only uses it once the cable is disconnected.

EDIT: They talk about the battery life with a 2,1 bluetooth in this review:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/19/review-apple-magic-keyboard-trackpad-2/

Last edited:

ron45

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Central N.M.
I remember reports at the time that although it says it requires bluetooth 4.0, older bluetooth worked fine (just at a cost of reduced time between charging.) I think you have to be on 10.11 (El Capitan) however, 10.10.5 (Yosemite) does not work as it does not have the correct drivers.

In addition, if you are willing to keep the lighting cable plugged into the trackpad, you don't need the bluetooth even on, it only uses it once the cable is disconnected.

EDIT: They talk about the battery life with a 2,1 bluetooth in this review:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/19/review-apple-magic-keyboard-trackpad-2/
Thank you Richard, with the lightning cable attached there are still functionality short comings the make it frustrating to use. No right click substitute. I assume there must be something that does that job with a fully functional track pad and the newer OS.

The idea of the usb blu tooth 4 was presented as a kind of work around. But I didn't understand everything that was said.

Ron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.