USB/Bluetooth Tethering with Evo

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stynyr, Dec 1, 2010.

1. stynyr macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and basically a new Apple user in general. I received an iPad for my birthday and love the thing. I use the Wifi from my wireless network at home and it works wonders. I have an Evo and tried to use it as a hotspot until I realized I needed to pay that extra $29.99/month for the capability.

I've read that there are ways to use the Evo as a hotspot for the iPad via Bluetooth or USB without having to pay the extra $29.99. I was hoping that someone here would be able to explain how to use either of these methods.

Would this device have anything to do with the USB connection?

Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, the iPad can only get internet access through WiFi or it's own cellular data connection.

3. patp Guest

if you root your Evo phone you can get free hotspot capabilities. It'll create a wifi signal your iPad can use.

you should google:
    "HTC EVO root wireless tether" and look at Android forums for tips on how to root your phone.

If you keep your phone stock configuration you'll have to pay the extra fee to tether.

4. stynyr thread starter macrumors newbie

And you're able to pay month-to-month? As in I can pay to have internet access for, say, the month of December and then not use it again until May and just pay for that month again, correct?

I've read this as well. I know this isn't an Android forum so I'll try and make this my last inquiry about it, but isn't rooting painstakingly difficult to do and carry the possibility of breaking the phone?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Correct.

6. stynyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. Rooting sounds like it's out of my league. I'll pick my spots with the monthly fee. Thank you everyone for your help.

7. Johnd206 macrumors newbie

Don't give up just yet. Search for "unrevoked3" on the web or even YouTube. Good Luck!

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Wirelessly posted (htc EVO 4G: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I think it's possible to jailbreak the iPad to gain access to its Bluetooth functionality, then use something like PDAnet on your EVO to share the phone's internet connection through Bluetooth.

9. patp Guest

most of the rooting is done with a 1 click method. This really isn't the right place to discuss. I would again, suggest you google it and get the answers. Its not that hard, just do a bit of reading before you jump in. Alot of youtube videos that detail the process.

Stop asking here and go search. You will be amazed at how many people are doing it. I rooted my Droid Eris which is underpowered compared to the EVO and I get great tethering speeds. On an EVO it will scream.
    You will run your battery down fast and you don't want to tether for too long or download huge files. But it is great if you're on the road and need some internet on the go.

10. orlandocano macrumors regular

Everything you need to know about rooting EVO

http://www.androidcentral.com/root

Used the source above to root EVO. Since sprint has unlimited data, rooting an evo and using it to tether an iPad is actually the best way to go... This does drain the phones juice but it's perfect for a road trip (especially if you have a car charger).. Or when you are staying at a hotel that doesn't have free wifi... Or you can just get an extended evo battery with all the money you will save by not paying AT&T ridiculous 3G fees... And sprint 4g is blazing fast! So if you are lucky enough to live in a 4G toWn, you will be very pleased...

Rooting is easy, don't give up before you try it... Finding a rom you like is a little more difficult.. My favorite is myn's warm 2.2 found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=793471

Hope this helps... YouTube and google are your friends here!!!! You will be glad you did this...