Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Did anyone create a USB boot disk for your new iMac?

I tried to download it from the App Store, but it said the version of it is not compatible with this machine...and refused my download

I suspect the version in the store is not updated yet...:confused:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Yes your right:

another option would be to clone it to external usb drive using superduper or carbon copy...then if you need to reinstall clean it would be way faster then redownloading via network and then reinstall...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes your right:

another option would be to clone it to external usb drive using superduper or carbon copy...then if you need to reinstall clean it would be way faster then redownloading via network and then reinstall...

This is what I do, I have an external drive that is cloned.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Yes your right:

How to clone the image to the external USB??

I can't even get it downloaded from the app store now...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Use either superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. When you install either of these apps, you will select the source and target drives. Once you select the options it will then clone the drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did anyone create a USB boot disk for your new iMac?

I tried to download it from the App Store, but it said the version of it is not compatible with this machine...and refused my download

I suspect the version in the store is not updated yet...:confused:

The App Store version is a different build number. Follow this process to get the current installer for your machine. Then use this free app to make the USB key.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Boot to recovery mode cmd-r @ startup. You can then install the shipping version of 10.8 to an ext. hard drive. Personally, I've had issues with USB 3 unmounting @ sleep & not remounting on wake. No prob w/ USB 2 or FW800 via TB adapter. I've read similar complaint w/ other USB3 Mac users, not just the new iMac. I think it might be the controller chip in the drive because some people have no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.