USB Boot doesn't show Hard Disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by psedog, Jan 2, 2011.

1. psedog, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

psedog macrumors newbie

I've created a Snow Leopard boot disk using this method link. I created it on a 16GB CF Disk. I've tried it twice. First time I formatted the disk as eXfat with 1 partition. Next time I used Mac OS Extended for a 7Gig partition and fat32 for the rest.

Upon boot I get the normal install stuff like I do with the DVD, but then no hard disk shows up. I thought it was because of the eXfat which is why I tried again. I looked into the system profiler and I can see my seagate hard disk, but under disk utility it doesn't exist. My Sata DVD drive shows up though. If I boot off of the DVD I can see and install to my hard disk.

I'm trying to make a USB Disk because I'm planning on getting a SSD and I will be removing the Dvd drive.

I tried searching for a few hours through this site as I'm sure others have run into this issue. I was unable to find an answer though :eek:

Oh and I forgot. This is a Mid 2009 Macbook.

2. psedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Am I really the only one to have this issue? I wonder if it is because I'm using a CF card and not a normal flash drive. It still doesn't make sense to me that the hard disk is present in the system profiler but not in disk utility.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Snow Leopard can't boot from anything other than a disk with the GUID Partition Table scheme and HFS Plus file system.

4. psedog thread starter macrumors newbie

What? I wrote that it did boot. It booted off of the cf 16gb card no problems, but then my hard drive doesn't show up. If I boot off of the DVD, the hard drive shows up.

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I used an 8 GB USB Flash drive to copy Snow Leopard to so I could boot from the USB Flash drive to install Snow Leopard to my Hackintosh.