USB BT or wifi dongle on extension cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmesser, Sep 12, 2016.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Should connecting usb wireless dongles to a usb extension cable which is plugged in to the desired usb port on my Mac Pro be problematic and, if so , how? On a naive theoretical level, it seems it should be OK. There will be a voltage drop to the dongle which probably isn't a problem for the dongle itself, but may be a problem for its output signal) and also the possibility of interference. I intend to try it but want to understand any possible problems. I shouldn't need more than a few feet of extension to get around some potentially shielding obstacles in my close quarters home office where positions are pretty well fixed.

2. owbp, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

For the last few days I've been out of my room, with my Mac Pro, due to wall painting and other maintenance stuff.
    So I had to forget about Ethernet and use wifi dongle for that time.
    Extension cable helped a lot with signal strength - from barely being able to open Safari page (without it) to having always steady and strong connection (with extension cable).
    So I'd say go for it! :)

P.S. Just to add, i used extension to put my dongle up on the window, for better air line to my wireless router - don't think that it can act as an antenna.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing! I don't think the USB extension could act as antenna either, as the dongle's input is the air and not the usb bus. Your use is exactly what I'm thinking of: improving line of sight.

4. violst macrumors 6502

violst

Which USB wifi dongle are you guying using if you don't mind me asking?

5. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

I'm using D-Link DWA-140 just because i had it laying around, not because its plug n' play.
    Had to install Mediatek Wireless Utility so i could use it in OS X.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using an IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, model GBU521.