USB-C 3.0 to 3.1 Gen2 adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacUse-R, Apr 20, 2019.

1. MacUse-R macrumors regular

MacUse-R

So if I have a computer with a USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (USB-C 3.0) port, is there any kind of active adaptors/converters which can make the port a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port instead, so that the speed increases from 5 Gbps to 10 Gbps, and so that the port can handle higher wattage/Amperage?

Is this even possible to convert to a newer/faster standard? Im thinking if the adaptor has some active electronics inside then maybe that could be possible, or am I thinking totally wrong here?

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

3. MacUse-R thread starter macrumors regular

MacUse-R

Yeah I suspected that, but who knows in todays day and age, nowadays they invent all kinds of electronic gadgets. It was worth a try though. Thanks.

4. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

What machine do you have? Macs have had thunderbolt ports for a number of years - they won’t handle eg the 100 watts USB-PD does but even TB1 will do 10Gbit that USB3.1g2 specifies.

5. dwig macrumors 6502a

The old rule of the universe still applies: no chain is stronger than its weakest link.

While an active interface could be built that connected to client devices at USB 3.1gen2 speeds on one side and to a host at USB 3.0 or 3.1gen1 speeds on the other, the end effect would be client-to-host speeds being limited to the USB3.0/3.1gen1 speeds as that is the "weakest link".