Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Apples really gone all out here on the uh 'portability' aspect of these new MacBooks. With that said though how are you supposed to connect your iPhone to it? If at all? Maybe we've truly entered the iCloud sync era?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Apples really gone all out here on the uh 'portability' aspect of these new MacBooks. With that said though how are you supposed to connect your iPhone to it? If at all? Maybe we've truly entered the iCloud sync era?

There is a App for that, I mean an adapter for that..

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
my thought process with this is if it can accept data transfers you should start seeing usb-c devices like flash drives soon...

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I think the charger should also be a dock, so when you plug in the block to charge, you can also plug in other stuff into the block. It's perfect! :D But will Apple do it? Probably not, BUT someone, like OWC, probably will make a 3rd-party solution :D

At first I thought having only one port was very bad, but after thinking about it for a while, I actually like it. You'd only be using ports if you are docked at a desk, and in that case you'd use a dock, preferrably one that is also a charger like I just said. :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
With the seemingly weak processor, it would make sense for Apple to do away with the peripherals. It will hardly have enough power to give you a satisfactory experience on an external display. In addition, if the focus is truly on portability, then there will hardly be a need to rely on hardware-based external storage either, since there is network-based storage (e.g. Time Capsule), cloud storage (iCloud) or short-range transmission (AirDrop). DVD drives? Died along with the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pros. Mouse and keyboards? All Bluetooth-based.

This device is made for people that live in the cloud, have wireless hardware for extra storage and have ideally another computer at home or at work. If you need the extra connectivity, this MacBook just isn’t made for you.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
With the seemingly weak processor, it would make sense for Apple to do away with the peripherals. It will hardly have enough power to give you a satisfactory experience on an external display.

What a load of rubbish. It's many times faster than say an old PowerBook G4, and they were designed to be used with external Cinema displays...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
What a load of rubbish. It's many times faster than say an old PowerBook G4, and they were designed to be used with external Cinema displays...

Whereas the MacBooks and MacBook Airs had problems keeping an acceptable performance with it. My unibody MacBook (2008) had a noticeable performance penalty. It’s not ideal for constant use.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Whereas the MacBooks and MacBook Airs had problems keeping an acceptable performance with it. My unibody MacBook (2008) had a noticeable performance penalty. It’s not ideal for constant use.

If it's that weak how do you expect it to drive a 2304x1440 retina panel?

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
If they made an adapter that had either VGA or HDMI, 2 standard size USB ports (instead of the 1), and a charging port, heck, that'd be almost enough to call it a dock.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
How do you do dual monitor output while powering the Macbook at the same time?

Last edited:

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
If this is something you want to do, then this laptop is not for you.

My point being from a compute standpoint the laptop seems to have enough juice for me to use as a everyday main computer; as a laptop or a desktop.

From a connectivity standpoint not. I'm not sure it's asking too much to be able to output to dual monitors while charging the Macbook.

It's even crazier that you can't power the Macbook and connect to an external Thunderbolt storage device with the adapters Apple will launch with.

I am sure there will be 3rd party solutions, I'm thinking Henge Dock, but based on their time to market for their existing docks it'll be 2 years before we see something from them for the 2015 Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.