Usb c accessory/cable frustrations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metalisticpain, Dec 29, 2016.

1. metalisticpain macrumors newbie

metalisticpain

Hey all,

Anyone else frustrated with the usb c situation? Would have thought manufacturers would have made more progress by now

For one:

Can't for the life of me understand why all adapters and hubs have a fixed connection. Couldn't they have usb c at both ends, let you choose the length yourself? At work i have a laptop stand, would prefer to have any hubs sitting on the desk rather than hanging off the side...

And two:
    Where are all the a to b cables. Why do i need to have cable + adapter. Can't I just buy hdmi to usb c, or even dvi to usb c (work monitors)... I found one hdmi to usb c but it was a bit of a struggle to even find it on the net and they are not available off the shelf at normal retail stores is aus.

The search continues as i try to find a good solution for port connectivity at work, home and on the go. The arc hub looks promising, just missing ethernet for me https://www.bourgedesign.com

2. GCMD macrumors regular

If you listed what you need to connect to your MBP, maybe we can help you find solutions. I'm sure there are plenty of people with the same needs that could offer suggestions.

Do you need a dock?

I agree that the most logical course of action is to replace cables of the peripherals. That's what I plan to do.

And for video output, it's cheaper and more efficient to buy a dongle that combines HDMI, Ethernet and SD card. Which video outputs do you use most?

Don't worry. Within the next couple of months, most peripherals will have cables you can buy to turn them into USB C...

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have had no problem in adjusting to the USB-C world..... I've got a couple of tiny little dongles/adapters -- ideal for travel! -- and I also bought a Belkin cable which has USB-C on one end and Micro-B on the other end and this works for a lot of my external drives. No big deal to plug that cable into a drive when I want to use an external device with my 12" MacBook, and then I simply go back to the cable with which it came when I'm doing something with my 2015 rMBP. I also have a couple of Samsung T-3 SSD external drives, and they work just fine with either a USB-C to USB-C or a USB-C to USB-A cable.....

That said, I haven't found a need yet for a hub or dock, nor do I attach my 12" rMB to a monitor.