USB-C and monitor support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukebound85, Apr 1, 2017.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Can one usb-c port support multiple displays? As in you get and adapter and daisy chain the displays? or is it one display per port?

thanks

2. killawat macrumors 65816

There are various scenarios where the 2016 mbp can achieve multiple displays through one port but it isn't easy. For the most part In Mac OS, using a USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI cable/adapter, you can only achieve one display (ignoring stretched multi display solutions) Here are a few ways around this:

1. Use a TB3 to Tb2 adapter, connect a Apple TB display then daisy chain a TB/mDP display off the extra TB port.
    2. In Windows (only), the MacBook Pro can daisy chain to as Many displays as supported by your video card.
    3. Using a thunderbolt 3 dock, you can achieve 2x DisplayPort output (1 DisplayPort, 1x usb-c)

And then there are resolution/bandwidth constraints. 2x 5k displays max (for the 2016 MBP 15), 4x 4k monitors max, etc

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am debating on the 2 port 13mbp vs the 4. I would like to run 2 external displays with numerous usb his and all that

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Or get the CalDigit one which is the same but with a certified Thunderbolt chip and thus doesn't require the hack.

5. DRDR macrumors member

Which costs twice as much and still needs an additional UBS-C to DisplayPort adapter which then blocks the Thunderbolt 3 output port of the dock.

6. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

If you are going to use an external display, you are quickly going to run out of ports.

To me it seems you're a power user. Definitely get the 4 port MBP, because even if you could daisychain displays, I have the feeling that you'd run into the limits of 2 ports anyway.

7. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I think what you mean is TB3. USB-C is the physical port, TB3 is the protocol. For example there are USB 2.0 USB-C cables. Anyway, all versions of TB can daisy chain, but you're limited by bandwidth and video streams. A single TB3 port can support 40Gbps and 2x DP 1.2 video streams.

What this means is a single TB3 port can support up to 1x 5K @60hz or 2x 4K @60hz. Like mentioned earlier, you can daisy chain with the Apple Thunderbolt Display or get a TB3 dock and connect two displays into the dock and have 1 TB3 cable going to your MBP.

Be aware that a single 5K monitor will nearly saturate TB3's bandwidth, so I would advise attaching it directly into your MBP rather than a dock. Also I don't believe you can daisy chain a 5K monitor.

Based on what you want to run (2 displays and various USB peripherals), I recommend getting the 2 port MBP and a TB3 Dock. Keep in mind that the MBP13 TouchBar TB3 ports on the right side have reduced speeds.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

9. dyn macrumors 68030

Ah yeah, thought you were linking to the StarTech Thunderbolt 3 dock but you weren't. Oops.