Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i want a hub that is only usb-a and usb-c for my new iMac.

all i seem to be able to find are the multi slot ones with hdmi, ethernet, sd, etc along with the a and c ports. can someone suggest the BEST that gives me JUST multiple usb a and c ports that will work great with my new M1 iMac???

HELP!

p.s. coming from a mid 2011 iMac.....

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
What you're looking for isn't a USB dongle but a USB hub such as these two for example:

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many USB-C hubs available.

Reactions: caligurl

SsSsSsSsSnake

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
You can get the Some that are around 10-20 pounds that are usbc to 3 A’s with card reader. Not usb c inputs though,well not sourced one yet at that price

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element hub is all you need.
Wow nice one!
That's a great hub - 4 USB-A and 4 USB-C ports PLUS dual 60Hz HDMI ports!!!

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 10.11.40 AM.png

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I don't want or need HDMI ports. I don't want to pay for something i won't ever use.

that's why i said in my original post that i'm looking for a hub with JUST the 2 usb ports....

i can find hubs with the multiple additional inputs all day long.... i want just the usb a and c ports IF i can even find one!

Last edited:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I don't want or need HDMI ports. I don't want to pay for something i won't ever use.

that's why i said in my original post that i'm looking for a hub with JUST the 2 usb ports....

i can find hubs with the multiple additional inputs all day long.... i want just the usb a and c ports IF i can even find one!

The CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element hub does not have HDMI ports - it only has USB Type-A and Type-C ports - exactly what you are after?
See the post above yours with the image posted by @4sallypat
The Type-C ports can be used to drive monitors to if need be - they are not HDMI ports though.

So, it has 4 Type-C ports on one side (one used to connect to your computer), and 4 Type-A ports on the other side.

The OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub is also very similar, but only has one Type-A port whereas the CalDigit has 4......

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I just wish it had the option to run using USB-c downstream power (even if that meant slightly less upstream power for the Mac) - the power brick for it is ridiculously big.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There is also this on Amazon.

I've had this one for a couple of years, if one can live with only USB-A data ports.

And along similar lines, if not needing pass-thru power delivery, there is this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.