USB-C AV adapter availability in London

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chiquon, May 14, 2015.

1. Chiquon macrumors member

I'm picking up my shiny new rMB 1.2 512 tomorrow, but without an adapter I don't think I'm going to be able to restore from my TM back up and get my system up and running.

Not relishing the thought of spending a few weeks without being able to use it!!

Does anyone know if there is an availbility in stores in London?

Many thanks!

2. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

You could just buy the £15 USB-C adapter, rather than the AV adapter?

3. gekkonaut macrumors newbie

Plug it in somewhere else, share it, and restore from wifi? I think this is possible?

Or use migration assistant to live migrate.

4. Chiquon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Krislord....I'm travelling at the moment, so only have my external backup handy. I thought about the standard USB adapter but I think I'll need the rMB plugged in to restore from a large TC backup.

Thanks Gekkonaut...I've not used the shared restore method before. I'll have a look. I think migration assistant will also require me to be plugged in in order to do a large restore.

Really hoping that someone will know of a London store with some stock...

5. thitiv macrumors member

When I migrated to rMB last week, I plugged my hard drive to a Time Capsule (which could also be an Airport Express), it wasn't that fast but it worked. I ordered the USB-C cable online later on and it arrived within two days.

6. gekkonaut macrumors newbie

Migration assistant happens over the network (e.g. wifi). So there's no reason you can't be plugged in with the normal adapter to do that!

7. Chiquon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. Sounds worth a go, although with 250GB to transfer it might be a while before I'm up and running :rolleyes: I might see if I can borrow an Airport Express, plug in the external hard drive, and have a go whilst I am travelling. Cheers!

8. twynne macrumors 6502a

I restored nearly 400gb from a USB3 hard drive without first charging the rMB - no issues. The battery was about 80% charged on arrival as I recall.

Granted, I did this by booting into recovery and restoring my backup (sparse bundle image) over the rMB's drive.

9. Chiquon thread starter macrumors member

Encouraging! I'll definitely give it a go - thanks!

10. lite426 macrumors regular

You can buy a £2.50 USB-C->A adapter on eBay but from Hong Kong so it'll take ~20 days to arrive.