USB-C cable not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SidBoggle, Sep 19, 2015.

1. SidBoggle macrumors regular

I wonder if anyone else has had issues with the MacBook included USB-C cable. My MacBook charger stopped working after several months. i traced it to the apple cable by picking up a third party one from Amazon and luckily everything is now charging okay.

Unfortunately Apple support have been useless. They have ordered me the wrong part twice and then ended up telling me that the USB-C cable is not on their parts list so I have to make a genius appointment for a simple cable replacement. It will actually cost me more in petrol to get there than the purchase price of an Amazon cable.

Also it seems like it is virtually impossible to book a genius appointment. Always fully booked at my local stores.....God help me if I ever have a real problem.

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

From my recollection this is not the first case posted. Personally I would speak with Apple support and request that the case be elevated. Unfortunately the way Apple works is that they are generally required to physically verify the issue. I would make a video of the Apple cable not working and one of the third party cable working to validate your claim, in conjunction with politely emphasising your "time loss" and associated costs.

Don't forget you have extended consumer rights in the UK and can get further advice via Citizens Advice. Ultimately you need to either mediate with Apple or physically visit a store. The cable is obviously available as it can be bought separately, is it on the Apple UK website? if so point Apple support to this...

Q-6

3. SidBoggle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes you can buy the cable separately and I did point support to this on the website but they claim they have a separate parts list for repairs and this cable is not on there. Very frustrating.

4. SidBoggle thread starter macrumors regular

I went in to pick up a new iPhone and spoke to the nice lady who was serving me and she kindly swapped my cable at the same time without all the messing about with Genius bars. I now have a working USB-C cable. Hooray!

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I had an issue with one end of the usb-c cable somehow not fitting in the port properly and not always charging without a wiggle to get it to fit. I took it to the genius bar and they got me a new cable without too much fuss.

These v1 machines always seem to have these kind of issues i'm afraid, they shouldn't obviously but they just seem to.