USB-C cable to rule them all?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrodriguez77, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Hrodriguez77 macrumors member

Hrodriguez77

I will be purchasing a 2017 MacBook Pro and I'm a little confused with the different types of USB c cables out there. Is there 1 cable out there that can sync data and charge at full speed? I found this:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CD084/

This cable seems to be what I need but it's too short. Anyone have any experience with this cable, or can recommend a similar one that is longer?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The world of USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 is very complex at first but with the following you'll be all set...

General rules of thumb:
    • Thunderbolt 3 cables longer than 0.5m are not reverse compatible with USB 3
    • USB-C cables with full 10Gbps (also known as USB 3.1) transfer speeds must be less than a metre long
    • USB-C cables with 5Gbps (also known as USB 3.0) transfer speeds must be less than two metres long
    What does this mean? That length is really the determining factor for your "ultimate cable", because longer length introduces compromise:
    • If you're happy with a 0.5m cable, then the one you've linked really is the 'ultimate', supporting Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 (10Gbps), and 100W of charging
    • If you want a longer cable (as you say) then you need to make a compromise: do you want a Thunderbolt 3 cable that doesn't support USB 3, or do you want a USB 3 cable that doesn't support Thunderbolt 3?
    • If the former, there are lots of good 1 and 2 metre Thunderbolt 3 options from CalDigit, Belkin, OWC, and others.
    • If the latter, then you can:
      • get Belkin's 1 metre USB-C cable with full USB 3.1 (10Gbps) support from the Apple Store, or
      • get something like this Plugable cable which is 2 metres long but only USB 3.0 (5Gbps) compatible.

3. Hrodriguez77 thread starter macrumors member

Hrodriguez77

Thanks for your clear and very detailed reply. I was hoping I can have my cake and eat it too when it came to a cable, but I guess I would have to live with purchasing multiple cables to fit my needs.