USB C connects but does not charge iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bonebrain, Jul 24, 2019.

1. bonebrain macrumors newbie

Anyone have this happen. I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15inch. The USB ports will communicate but for some reason will not charge anything. I have reset the PRAM and the SMC and nothing. Not sure what is going on. I have the mac plugged in and fully charged

2. chabig macrumors 603

It's likely not the computer or the iPhone. Try a different cable or adapter.

3. bonebrain thread starter macrumors newbie

4. pshufd macrumors 65816

Will it charge other devices? I think that you can get a device that measures power output on USB ports but you could just try another USB device that you have handy.

5. bonebrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried a few things none will charge. But they can communicate. I backed up my iPhone

6. pshufd macrumors 65816

Sounds like a hardware problem then - bring it in and see what Apple says.

I'd get an Anker multiport charger for charging things. It's nice to have 12 and 18 Watt charging ports.

7. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

Don't think I saw this in the thread, so, apologies if wrong:

What charger are you using with the Mac?

In my case, I have a two port charger, USB-PD and USB-A. When both ports in use, the PD port gets throttled, and if my USB hub is plugged in, not enough power going to the hub to power accessories plugged into the hub.

8. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

This sounds like a cable issue. I know you tried different cables, but were they reputable cables?

Does "regular USB" devices charge? Meaning non-Power Delivery aware targets? It is possible you're failing to negotiate for Power Delivery due to a faulty set of cables.

Apple can test it though as they should have a C to Lightening cable they make on hand.

9. bonebrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I had 2 bad cables. I found one that works. Ugh, need to replace them regularly I guess.