USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Capabilities

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ctyrider, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I have been wondering about the capabilities of Apple's $79 USB-C digital dongle. Apple's product page describes its intended use case like following:

What I am wondering about if this is the only supported use of this dongle, or if other scenarios possible.. For instance - feeding power to MacBook via USB Type-A port (via Type-A to Type-C cable), and using USB-C port to connect to a monitor via DisplayPort Cable.

Basically, I don't care about HDMI port - I want to connect MacBook to 1440p (or maybe even 4K) display, while charging it at the same time.

If this dongle is a proper USB-C dock supporting DisplayPort Alt Mode - that should be possible.. and will in fact make it not such a bad purchase.. I am hoping this is why Apple is pricing it at $79, as it's a lot more than just a dumb adapter cable.

I suspect no one truly knows yet, but can't help but wonder..

2. Steve USB macrumors newbie

If you are referring to the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter", the description is:

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

The Type C port on the MacBook provides Display Port, which is converted in the Adapter to HDMI.

The Type C port on the adapter supports only power, no USB2, no Display port.

The Standard A is USB3.1 Gen 1 (the old USB 3.0).

3. ctyrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

How do you know this? I think until someone actually tries this - this is very unclear.

4. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Ya, I'm not sure that follows, either. It's possible that the Type C port on the adapter is a full-pinned pass-through. If so, it may stand to reason that it supports data also, and thereby will allow a DisplayPort to USB-C connection down the road, if someone markets a cable for it.

5. ctyrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Someone already does - Google USB Type-C to DisplayPort Cable

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This does not look like the cable for you. You will not be able to power the macbook with USB A port.

The cable you would need would have either 2 USB C ports (plus a USB C to DP adapter, once available),or an adapter with USB C and MDP.

I'M sure there will be nice docking stations in the no to distant future. Depending on your required mobility, that my work best.