USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor can only mirror not extend to an ext. display?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noct, May 12, 2015.

1. noct, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

noct macrumors newbie

Has anyone got the multiport adaptor on hand and can confirm for sure that it can extend to an external monitor (i want both the rMB and the ext. monitor on, not just the ext. one).?

On apple.com it did not state that it can extend:

"this adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840x2160) at 30Hz. It also outputs video content like movies and captured video. "

Other old displayport adaptors clearly state it can BOTH mirror and extend.

1. I searched here and no old threads for this question.
    2. Called apple and no one knows.
    3. Visited an apple store and its out of stock so no one knows and can't try it out.

Very frustrating if the adaptor can EXTEND but apple makes a mistake of not stating it clearly on their website.....

And more frustrating if the $79 thingy that probably costed $8 to make cannot extend.

2. keviig macrumors 6502

Would like to know the same! If it only mirrors i'm not buying it, but if it extends i might.

3. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I use mine to extend my display to the right on an HDMI 1080p display. No issues.

4. Chiquon macrumors member

Perfect - was hoping this was the case as well!

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Just checked and will also confirm it works just fine.

6. keviig macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that up! Strange wording by Apple considering it can extend as well.

7. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I use it to extend via HDMI->DVI at 1440p on my DELL U2713HM monitor.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Can you physically connect to an external display and run a third display through an Apple TV?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

hmm now that is a good question. My ATV is at home, so I cannot test it =/

10. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Yes you can.

Screenshot (below) explanation: left screen is the rMB, middle is ATV @1080p, right is my DELL U2713HM @1440p

Attached Files:

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

12. JTMacster macrumors newbie

Hdmi > dvi & vga

Thanks to FatefulWhisper that the HDMI > DVI extends. I have the multi-port on order. Got both an HDMI > DVI cable and a HDMI > VGA adaptor. Do a lot of photography and have reason to show on TVs and projectors. Also have an SD card adaptor for the camera.

However need the HDMI > DVI to go to my external monitor. Have a cable solution that allows me to use my keyboard/trackpad to bounce between 2 computers. Will post if that works OK as well as the other adaptors.

Flying right now and find this computer to be a joy to work with while traveling.

13. noct thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Any delay when moving your mouse cursor from rMB to ATV screen to ext display? Or it's all butter smooth?

14. JTMacster macrumors newbie

Wormhole Switch

noct, using wormhole switch JUC400 USB to USB, iMac to PC Laptop today and it is seamless and butter smooth. Looking to replace PC laptop with rMB with same results. Will post results after I get my multi-port adaptor.

15. jeme macrumors regular

I just got mine and it will extend, however I can only get the macbook to use the native resolution (very small). Can anyone coach me if I am doing something wrong? Thanks

16. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

No delay. Yes, it's really smooth; although w/ ATV mirroring, it will be strongly dependent upon your network connection. I have 802.11ac at 5GHz w/ a transmission rate of ~867Mbps, so there's no lag via wifi to the ATV.

Attached Files:

• wifi.png
      wifi.png
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views: