USB-C extension cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedommer2000, Nov 28, 2016.

1. thedommer2000 macrumors member

Anyone tried one of those. Right now I have everything going into 2 USB hubs that go into the single apple media USB-C connector. So I have DVI going out to my Monitor and my laptop charge cable plugged in. It works great and I like only having one quick point of contact to the laptop. The part I don't like is that there is a lot of weight hanging off the side of my laptop (its on a laptop stand). I'd like to get a USB-C extension cable so I can move the dongle further away and rest it on my desk. Is there any issue with those cables?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Does anyone even make one? I'd be concerned about charging through one.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

They are hard to find because they are explicitly prohibited by the specification (or at least they were last year) so there aren't any certified ones out there. If you find one, I would bet money on you having compatibility issues with the intense use case you describe. Unfortunately you are best sticking with your current setup or investing in a new docking solution from another manufacturer.

4. thedommer2000 thread starter macrumors member

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the particular setup you have, but wouldn't the best solution be a longer USB-C cable (since USB is typically male-to-male)?

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Why pay $7.99 to burn your house down when you can get some kids to do it for free?

Kidding, but seriously I wouldn't trust it, there are so many horror stories of dodgy USB-C cables. The price, the fact it's not got any formal rating/certification, nor a respected manufacturer, I think you'd be well advised to avoid.

I believe they're using the Apple USB-C Multiport adapter which has a built-in cable.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Oh, okay. What if the male USB end of the multi port adapter is plugged into the AC adapter, and the USB-C cable that originally accompanied the MacBook was plugged into the female end of the adapter, and the other end was plugged into the MacBook? Or would that not work?

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I like your thinking! But a couple of issues:
    • The female USB-C port on the adapter is a charging input only, no data
    • The cable that came with the MacBook is only USB 2 so would need another cable even if it did work
    • The adapter requires communication with a computer to work, i.e. plug it into an AC adapter and no power will come out of the USB-A or USB-C ports.

9. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

no I tried.
    the female plug on apple adapter only accept power input. no power output or any data transfer.

10. thedommer2000 thread starter macrumors member

The media adapter comes with a short cable as part of the adapter. If it was modular I would just remove that and add in a longer cable but unfortunately its part of the media dongle and the cable is only about 4 inches long.