Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealtorMike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I have ordered my new MacBook Pro and now I am trying to get all the adapters I will need ordered. I have two Dell monitors in my home office connected through Mini Displayports and I have the same set up at my office. What would be ideal is a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to dual Mini Displayports so I only have to use one port on the MacBook Pro.

I can't use HDMI because it destroys the color accuracy on the UltraSharp Displays when connected with a Mac. The monitors have Displayport and Mini Displayport options on it, but it would be ideal to use Mini Displayport since I already have the cables for my current MacBook Pro.

This is the best scenario I have found so far. Anyone have any other suggestions?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
That's the adapter I am also looking at to connect dual 27" Apple Cinema Monitors (Mini DisplayPort only) and use two DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapters like this one. One thing to note is that it requires the MacBook to have dual-displayport support over one TB3 connector, which I believe the 15" has.
I've been looking and haven't found a better solution or one with native Mini DisplayPort.

Anyway, I'm going to order it once my computer ships and see if it works. I'll post an update once I try it out.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I did see that but I figure I'd try it out anyway. I do t see why it wouldn't work technically since it's standard DisplayPort.

Can always return it if it doesn't work.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
So after some more research, found out from their website that indeed this adapter won't work with the MacBook as their USB chipset is incompatible.

Going to have to wait to get my dual DisplayPort displays working and just use the one for now.

Q: Are Plugable’s Thunderbolt 3 devices compatible with the new 2016 MacBook Pro systems?
A: The version of OS X on the new MacBook Pros (late 2016) will not work with existing Thunderbolt 3 docks and adapters that were certified for Windows prior to the release of the MacBook Pro. These existing devices use first generation of TI USB-C chipset (TPS65982) in combination with Intel’s Thunderbolt 3 chipset (Alpine Ridge). Apple requires the 2nd generation TPS65983 chipset for peripherals to be compatible. Certification of solutions across different device types is still in-progress for this 2nd generation chipset. From the Plugable product line, our dual display graphics adapters for DisplayPort and HDMI (TBT3-DP2X and TBT3-HDMI2X) are affected. So we offer these products as Windows-only Thunderbolt 3 devices until a future hardware update. Our Thunderbolt 3 cables do not require this chip, and therefore are compatible.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
So I figured I'd give this guy from startech a go. It will drive dual monitors but only in mirror configuration. There was no way to make them independent.

I am using this USB-C to mini DP dongle for now. It's OK quality but works decently. I lucked out and my G-Technology Thunderbolt eV Dock can use the standard Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and drive a mini DP monitor.

pixelsherpa

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
I have ordered my new MacBook Pro and now I am trying to get all the adapters I will need ordered. I have two Dell monitors in my home office connected through Mini Displayports and I have the same set up at my office. What would be ideal is a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to dual Mini Displayports so I only have to use one port on the MacBook Pro.

I can't use HDMI because it destroys the color accuracy on the UltraSharp Displays when connected with a Mac. The monitors have Displayport and Mini Displayport options on it, but it would be ideal to use Mini Displayport since I already have the cables for my current MacBook Pro.

This is the best scenario I have found so far. Anyone have any other suggestions?
[doublepost=1491850552][/doublepost]You've probably found a solution by now, but I took delivery on my new macbook pro 2016 and was scrambling for a solution to connect my Apple LED Cinema (2011 I think) with MiniDisplay Port (MiniDP) - tried a few, a couple didnt work and one flaked out only a few days into using it.

This one worked flawlessly and seems to be built to last - been using it for a couple months
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-DisplayPort-Aluminum-Macbook-ChromeBook/dp/B01N2A0VR3

Hope this helps someone else save some time too!

RealtorMike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
[doublepost=1491850552][/doublepost]You've probably found a solution by now, but I took delivery on my new macbook pro 2016 and was scrambling for a solution to connect my Apple LED Cinema (2011 I think) with MiniDisplay Port (MiniDP) - tried a few, a couple didnt work and one flaked out only a few days into using it.

This one worked flawlessly and seems to be built to last - been using it for a couple months
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-DisplayPort-Aluminum-Macbook-ChromeBook/dp/B01N2A0VR3

Hope this helps someone else save some time too!

This is what I ended up going with and it works perfectly. I really wanted to use one usb c port for both monitors, but I never found a working solution. I have 4 of these cables (2 monitors at work, 2 at home) and they work great. Color accuracy is spot on.

Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (6'/1.8m) for 2016 MacBook Pro, MacBook Retina 2015 / 2016, Chromebook Pixel 2015, Thunderbolt 3 & More (Supports 4K / UHD Displays up to 3840x2160@60Hz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXKDRAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_b6s7ybE2CXNTZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.