iPad Pro USB-C Hub for the 11" iPad Pro ?

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Any suggestion on an USB-C Hub for the iPad Pro 11 Inch I am looking out for something in this category

Like the one that Hyperdrive makes but a cheaper option. Also can the iPad Pro bend with using a USB-C Hub which sticks to the USB-C Port of the iPad because of weight or something ?

I am not looking out for something like the port which Baseus makes.

Please suggest guys.

Thanks

Attachments

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I use this for my 11" iPad Pro:

It also works great for my Surface Go

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I use this for my 11" iPad Pro:

It also works great for my Surface Go
My problem with this kind of hub is if I am using the iPad Pro on an Apple Smart Cover making it a stand by folding it or any third party stand this would not lay flat on the surface it would keep dangling in the air right ? The chord to attach it to the iPad Pro is not long ? is it ?

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My problem with this kind of job is if I am using the iPad Pro on an Apple Smart Cover making it a stand by folding it or any third party stand this would not lay fakt on the surface it would keep dangling in the air right ? The chord to attach it to the iPad Pro is not long ? is it ?
I use a similar hub but with a 90 degree adapter so that I don't have the dangling hub problem -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XBGN5M

I also use these with my charging cables. This hub has an 8" cable, longer than most, and it's detachable so it could be replaced with a longer one -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6YS7W2

Edit: I like the idea of the hub I linked to coupled with this cable with a 90-degree plug -

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charger-Compatible-Matebook-Nintendo/dp/B07PLYW6R7

Last edited:

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
My problem with this kind of hub is if I am using the iPad Pro on an Apple Smart Cover making it a stand by folding it or any third party stand this would not lay flat on the surface it would keep dangling in the air right ? The chord to attach it to the iPad Pro is not long ? is it ?
The cord isn't super long. When I get home from the office today I will try and upload a photo.

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
The cord isn't super long. When I get home from the office today I will try and upload a photo.
So that's what I am saying since the cable is not long enough the entire hub kind of keeps hanging mid air if you have the iPad on a stand ! That is my problem with these hubs.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
This actually intrigued me a bit. Has anyone used the same usb c hub alternatively between a Mac and an iPad?!

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So how do you use the 90 degree adapter plug that into the iPad and the hub into the adapter ? Or how is it ?
Yes, it just attaches to the plug at the end of the hub cable and then into the iPad. Like I said, I also use these with my charge cables and also with an SSD when I don't use it with the hub.
- - Post merged: - -

This actually intrigued me a bit. Has anyone used the same usb c hub alternatively between a Mac and an iPad?!
I can't speak to the Mac but mine works fine with my 12.9 Pro and Dell XPS 13 Win10 laptop.

Reactions: akash.nu

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, it just attaches to the plug at the end of the hub cable and then into the iPad. Like I said, I also use these with my charge cables and also with an SSD when I don't use it with the hub.
- - Post merged: - -

Actually still cant figure out how it gets attached to the iPad Pro using the adapter that you have mentioned. Can you please post a picture of both the things the Adapter and the USB-C Hub in action ? That would be easier to understand. Would appreciate it. Thanks

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68040
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I've heard good things about that one. :)

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Actually still cant figure out how it gets attached to the iPad Pro using the adapter that you have mentioned. Can you please post a picture of both the things the Adapter and the USB-C Hub in action ? That would be easier to understand. Would appreciate it. Thanks
IMG_0513.jpg

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The other thing about the UNI Hub the one you have suggested is despite the 2 USB-C ports that it has none of them can be used to read data from a USB-C Pen Drive. So what's the point then ? You are losing a major feature there.
You seem to be making a point that a hub is useless - why are you looking for one then? This hub has the same caapability as the Hyperdrive. I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter if I need to do that -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079LYHNSR

Few hubs have multiple USB-C ports and those that do have reviews with many complaints about the USB-C data port not working well. If all you have is a USB-C pen drive, then either don't use a hub or use an adapter like this.

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
You seem to be making a point that a hub is useless - why are you looking for one then? This hub has the same caapability as the Hyperdrive. I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter if I need to do that -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079LYHNSR

Few hubs have multiple USB-C ports and those that do have reviews with many complaints about the USB-C data port not working well. If all you have is a USB-C pen drive, then either don't use a hub or use an adapter like this.
So you are saying those USB-C hubs which have USB-C Ports that can read data from a Pen Drive are incapable actually to do that ?

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So you are saying those USB-C hubs which have USB-C Ports that can read data from a Pen Drive are incapable actually to do that ?
I did not use the word incapable, I said that many reviewers have reported problems, enough such that I wouldn't purchase one and would go with the adapter if needed. My SSD has both a USB-A & USB-C cable so that's covered. I have a USB-C card reader but the hub covers cards. My needs are met.

An example, read the reviews -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BGJXTG

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I was thinking this aswell. How does this look ? Any worth ?

Anker makes excellent products - I have a number of them. That looks good but do note that it doesn't have a USB-C data port if you need that. The USB-C port on it is power only.

vish26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
So most of the USB-C hubs which have USB-C port do not support data reading. That's kind of sad.

sparksd

macrumors 68040
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Reactions: JayMysterio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.