usb-c hub with multiple usb-c ports?

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
The iPad pro has a single usb-c port. I would like to use it to copy data from one external (usb-c) disk to another.
Where do I find a usb-c hub that offers several usb-ports? They all seem to only have one, so after plugging the hub into the single usb-c port of the ipad pro, I‘ll be left with just a single free port again. Why?

I thought this would be a very common use case. After all, MBPs and ipad pros are now all using usb-c. And yet, after 30 minutes searching (admittedly, while watching a movie), I haven‘t found what I‘m looking for.

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Some interesting background on it -
Thanks. Interesting. And weird. So basically: Not ever going to happen with the current iPad pro? Or are these new chips for the usb-hubs, and these will be compatible with existing hardware? (I actually just wanted to order a peripheral on Amazon while watching TV, not download and read the entire USB specification. What a mess).

Re-phrasing the question: Does anyone have a similar use case? How do iPad pro users normally handle it?
Do I really have to copy everything to the iPads internal storage, then plug in the second disk and copy again?

(I‘ll go use the MBP for now. But now that I have an ipad pro, I thought I should learn how to do everything with it. Many tasks are still so damn clumsy...)

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks. Interesting. And weird. So basically: Not ever going to happen with the current iPad pro? Or are these new chips for the usb-hubs, and these will be compatible with existing hardware? (I actually just wanted to order a peripheral on Amazon while watching TV, not download and read the entire USB specification. What a mess).

Re-phrasing the question: Does anyone have a similar use case? How do iPad pro users normally handle it?
Do I really have to copy everything to the iPads internal storage, then plug in the second disk and copy again?

(I‘ll go use the MBP for now. But now that I have an ipad pro, I thought I should learn how to do everything with it. Many tasks are still so damn clumsy...)
You're not the only one as the question has been posed by others (why I knew about those links). All of my drives that use USB-C also have cables for USB 3 so I use those.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
I’ve been looking for a USB-C hub since I got my MBP in 2017. Still no joy. I use the USB-C to power/HDMI/USB-A and plug into a USB-3 hub. This same setup can be plugged into my iPad Pro when I’m using it for audio/MIDI recording.