Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
So I finally decided to get a MacBook pro 15 inch, as it comes with USB C ports only and I would occasionally know would need a usb a port or something I thought instead of getting all the different dongles for each type of connector I'd just get a one small usb c hub that has all of them and just have that around rather than searching for the right one each time. (since I don't really plan to need this daily, but more of a incase someone hands a usb drive or want to connect an SD card or something, a small Adapter for everything to carry around all the time)

I saw some posts about them when the new MacBook pros came out, but for some reason can't find the specific ones I remember seeing, so asking if anyone has tried some out and have any suggestions?

Ports needed(anything beyond this is would be extra and I definitely don't want to pay extra for charge pass through and the likes): HDMI, 2x USB A, SD card reader (a big shame they no longer includes this)
On my venture on amazon I found this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074DTHY4W
But it seems a bit weird especially with the picture of "CHIP STRONG PERFORMANCE" also only 5 reviews

Trying to find something cheaper as the laptop itself is already quite a lot, and since I won't be even using this Hub most of the time

Is it cheaper to just go with separate adapters for everything?

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Yeah I think that's the one I saw on here before, but kind of expected it to be around 50 rather than a 100, seems a bit expensive for something that's gonna be rarely used. Also are all the hubs expected to be hot when in use? so far all the ones I saw mention that it tends to get warmer than you'd expect of a simple hub to be.

wbrad01

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
Just fyi, I'm a musician and have used a Satechi hub on stage interfacing multiple keyboards to my mb pro with no issues. Plug in, unplug and pack many times. Very reliable.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah I think that's the one I saw on here before, but kind of expected it to be around 50 rather than a 100, seems a bit expensive for something that's gonna be rarely used. Also are all the hubs expected to be hot when in use? so far all the ones I saw mention that it tends to get warmer than you'd expect of a simple hub to be.
We use these ones at work and have found them to be reliable.

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
We use these ones at work and have found them to be reliable.
This seems like it would be pretty good, it says on their website "Via USB-C from host (bus powered) for low-energy peripherals or via USB-C port from external charger for simultaneous charging of the host computer and peripherals."
So would this mean that connecting an external harddrive or something similar would require me to connect the USB-C power cable into the hub? cause I don't plan to use the "charging" portion of the hub at all, do you have any experience with that?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
This seems like it would be pretty good, it says on their website "Via USB-C from host (bus powered) for low-energy peripherals or via USB-C port from external charger for simultaneous charging of the host computer and peripherals."
So would this mean that connecting an external harddrive or something similar would require me to connect the USB-C power cable into the hub? cause I don't plan to use the "charging" portion of the hub at all, do you have any experience with that?
Yes. You could plug a mouse and keyboard in but if you are going to use a USB hard drive that doesn't have it's own power source you would need to connect the hub to power.

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Yes. You could plug a mouse and keyboard in but if you are going to use a USB hard drive that doesn't have it's own power source you would need to connect the hub to power.
Any idea what happens if I plug the "usb c charge port" from the hub to another port on the mac? would that actually work? as all MacBook ports should provide enough power for the peripherals

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Yes I saw that one as well, but kind of trying to avoid the ones that keep on coming up as *sponsored* on amazon.

Anyway decided at the moment that I'm not in real hurry to use any ports honestly so will give it some time before i find the right one. (bluetooth mouse makes me not need any ports atm and getting a usb-c/usb-A thumb drive should solve the over major issue of transferring files from old to new computer )

Thank you for the ideas that people suggested

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.