USB-C Hubs Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wheelhot, Nov 23, 2016.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hi,

It makes me wonder, wouldn't a USB-A to USB-C Hub work better? since it'll be compatible (avoiding compatibility issues like some hubs) with all your products and is cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/291779172563

2. littlepud macrumors regular

I had the Belkin Aluminum USB 3.0 hub and simply bought a USB-C to Micro-B 3.0 cable. All of my USB-A devices (external drive, mouse, USB sticks) go through the hub.

3. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yup, that's what I'm thinking as right now USB-C to USB3.0 Hub is commanding a premium and from what I read, it seems they're some reliability or compatibility issues which makes it not worth getting? So might as well use an adapter + multi USB3.0 Hub

With a dedicated USB-A to USB-C adapter, the person will need 4 of those and it's still cheaper or equivalent to a USB-C hub and without potential compatibility issues.

4. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Are you comparing a multi USB A dongle to a full usb c hub with all the ports? Pros and cons? Not clear on your question.

5. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

comparing between a multi USB-A to USB-C hub and getting a simple USB-A to USB-C adapter which is cheaper and doesn't have compatibility issues like the hub tend to have.

6. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

OK, I see now. To add to the discussion, when I'm not plugged in to my "big hub" (the one with video, power delivery, ethernet, usb, etc.), I chose to go with single adapters for on the go use and just simple quick plugging at my desk. I have both the Aukey and Rankie twin packs from Amazon for about $8 per pair. They work great for me because I don't ever foresee myself plugging in more than one usb A device at a time, if at all. Unless you plan to use the hub at your desk, it is just too bulky for me. I also figure we'll be using usb A less and less as accessories catch up, so no point in investing more than you need to for a stop gap solution. My thinking anyway.