Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unrealmac1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
I have heard many things about false USB type C cables and how they can negatively affect your macbook and even breaking it.

Could someone explain to me where exactly this problem is coming from and about what I have to look closely when I buy USB type C accessories ?

I already bought for fun this USB C hub because I got it very cheap and it seem to be the best USB C hub out there. I do not have a rMB yet but after reading all the stuff about frying Macbooks I am kinda scared to try them/it.

Does anybody have any experience with the Hootoo Shuttle?

thanks!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I like the looks of that hub but there is no pass-through charging. That makes it useless. I have used many non Apple USB-C cables, in fact my current home charge cable is clone. Works perfectly. I have a USC-C to USB3. Works perfectly. Buy from a source where you can easily return.

For those in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Shuttl...5924575&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hoo+too+shuttle
[doublepost=1455927016][/doublepost]Update. There is a version with power passthrough. Positive reviews but does not seem to be available yet.

Unrealmac1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
If you mean with 'pass-through' charging if the hub can also charge your macbook while being plugged in: yes it can.

there is a USB C input slot for power on the other half of the main slots :)

The one I have is the one with this USB C port for charging.

But the question was also: what do I have to look for when buying USB C accessories to be sure they are safe?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you mean with 'pass-through' charging if the hub can also charge your macbook while being plugged in: yes it can.

there is a USB C input slot for power on the other half of the main slots :)

The one I have is the one with this USB C port for charging.

But the question was also: what do I have to look for when buying USB C accessories to be sure they are safe?

Your linked product was not that model.

Unrealmac1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
yeah that's the model I have. So with all you now knowing about it:

Is there any way to tell if this will damage my future rMB of is there any way in general to tell if USB C accessories and laptops/phones are compatible on a non destructible basis ?

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
Quick question....do you get the same charging speed, when connecting the Apple AC Adapter to the USB-C Passthru on the Hootoo Hub? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.