USB C HUBs vs Macbook damage HooToo Shuttle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Unrealmac1988, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2015
    I have heard many things about false USB type C cables and how they can negatively affect your macbook and even breaking it.

Could someone explain to me where exactly this problem is coming from and about what I have to look closely when I buy USB type C accessories ?

I already bought for fun this USB C hub because I got it very cheap and it seem to be the best USB C hub out there. I do not have a rMB yet but after reading all the stuff about frying Macbooks I am kinda scared to try them/it.

Does anybody have any experience with the Hootoo Shuttle?

2. ZipZap macrumors 603

Dec 14, 2007
    I like the looks of that hub but there is no pass-through charging. That makes it useless. I have used many non Apple USB-C cables, in fact my current home charge cable is clone. Works perfectly. I have a USC-C to USB3. Works perfectly. Buy from a source where you can easily return.

For those in the US:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2016 ---
    Update. There is a version with power passthrough. Positive reviews but does not seem to be available yet.
  3. Unrealmac1988 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 2, 2015
    If you mean with 'pass-through' charging if the hub can also charge your macbook while being plugged in: yes it can.

there is a USB C input slot for power on the other half of the main slots :)

The one I have is the one with this USB C port for charging.

But the question was also: what do I have to look for when buying USB C accessories to be sure they are safe?
  4. ZipZap macrumors 603

Dec 14, 2007
    Your linked product was not that model.
  5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
  6. ZipZap macrumors 603

Dec 14, 2007
  7. Unrealmac1988 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 2, 2015
    yeah that's the model I have. So with all you now knowing about it:

Is there any way to tell if this will damage my future rMB of is there any way in general to tell if USB C accessories and laptops/phones are compatible on a non destructible basis ?
  8. Enrico macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2007
    Milano / Roma
    Quick you get the same charging speed, when connecting the Apple AC Adapter to the USB-C Passthru on the Hootoo Hub? Thanks!