USB-C info and warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idunn, Nov 4, 2016.

1. idunn macrumors 6502

"The core issue with USB-C is confusion: Not every USB-C cable, port, device, and power supply will be compatible, and there are many different combinations to consider."

Total Nightmare: USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, Stephen Foskett

http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-nightmare-usb-c-thunderbolt-3/

An interesting and informative article (see link above) that anyone contemplating the use of USB-C might wish to read, or in more than a few cases really should.

In example, briefly: "… it gets worse. Many USB-C peripherals are limited in various ways as well. Consider a simple USB-C HDMI adapter: It could implement HDMI over USB 3.0 or it could use Alternate Mode (native) HDMI. It could also use HDMI “multiplexed” with Thunderbolt Alternate Mode or even (theoretically) implement HDMI over Thunderbolt using an off-board graphics chip!"

Or, consider that, "If you’re not careful, you can neuter or even damage your devices by using the wrong cable."

There is a wealth of specific detail in this article concerning USB-C and Thunderbolt beyond that cited here.

On reflection, I foresee world of hurt for Apple in choosing not to provide necessary legacy ports on the MBP for now.

2. leman macrumors 604

These considerations don't really apply to the MBP to the same extent, which support most current USB-C features over all their ports. It is however a problem with other laptops, which may offer Thunderbolt over some of their USB-C ports but not over others.

I do agree with you that this is a considerable weakness of the USB-C spec and it will lead to confusion for many users. Apple's 'solution' to it is — as mentioned before — is not to cheap out on port capabilities and just implement everything that is currently possible. Of course, some future extensions (like audio over USB-C) might need hardware support, so they possibly won't work in the current MBP.

3. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

yep I am still kind of scared to charge my MBP over my new "cheap" (20€) USB-C hub and I have no idea if there is a way to check those dongles.. :(

4. Macalway macrumors 68020

I don't know. There may be massive confusion, but people are generally tech literate now. If this happen 10 years ago, it might have been worse. Your just going to have to do your homework with this new tech.

Than again, I don't know. Should be interesting.