usb-c MBP's charger... removal of another feature?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vyruzreaper, Dec 20, 2016.

1. vyruzreaper macrumors member

They removed the prongs that helped you wrap the cable around for clean transport? Or am I missing something?

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Weren't those for the power cable that went to the Mac? No more permanently attached cable, no need for the wings. They tended to cause the cable to break anyway. Apple even had a little section to tell you how to wrap your cord.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The lack of the wings has been a source of consternation from some corners, notably Marco Arment. Personally I think the detachable cable makes them unnecessary and having them would mean the adapter would have to be bigger.

4. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Good riddance!

Thankfully I won't ever be forced into buying another whole MagSafe adapter for 80 bucks a pop!

USB-C means I can use a 5 dollar cable and stuff it in a backpack with fear!

R

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

You know that charging base isn't going to be located everywhere- you can't just plug in your MBP into a USB wall socket and expect it to charge quickly.

6. jk76 macrumors member

Lack of ftalates (they say) on rMBP 2012 charger cable - which made them to fail eventually - made me buy three extra chargers over lifetime of that laptop. Those were about 100 euros apiece. Not a huge price in comparison to the laptop, but definitely felt like Apple was intentionally making money off a flaw. Not to mention you couldn't use third-party chargers.

New USB-C charger can use any in-spec cable, it's replaceable and definitely doesn't cost 100 euros, and third party chargers work too. Hell, I can power my laptop even with my phone charger. I miss Magsafe, but actually not enough to warrant buying a new charger once a year just because the cable is bad.