usb-c monitor not working with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coremdeo, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Coremdeo macrumors newbie

Coremdeo

I have an LG ultra wide monitor. This one to be exact: https://frys.com/product/9197438?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

My question is this, I'm connecting my usb-c cable that was included with my MacBook Pro, but nothing is showing up on my monitor, am I doing something wrong here? I thought I simply connected the cable to a usb-c monitor.

2. csurfr macrumors 68000

Did it not come with a usb-c cable? I know when I had an LG 4K UltraFine it only worked with the supplied cable.

I can’t give you an exact reason why though.

Edit: sounds dumb, but make sure you’re on the correct input. It might not auto-switch.

3. chabig macrumors 603

4. csurfr macrumors 68000

And there it is! Good to know.

5. JB007TLD macrumors newbie

The USB-C Cable that comes with the macbook is technically just a "Charging Cable" its confusing I know. I got the LG Ultra fine and it included the USB-C video capable cable, does your monitor not have one?

If not just look for a USB-C video/charge cable. Do a google search to see which ones work and are worth buying.

6. csurfr macrumors 68000

Also keep in mind, according to the LG website this monitor doesn’t have enough power output to charge your MacBook Pro like the UltraFine displays do.

7. Fishrrman, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

What you need is a USB-c to displayport connector.
    That's USB-c (at the Mac end) to displayport (at the display end).

IF your MacBook Pro is a 2017 model (as distinguished from a 2016 model):
    You MUST be careful about WHICH USB-c to displayport adapter/cable you buy.

SOME USB-c to displayport cables work ok with with the 2016 MBP's but DO NOT WORK with the 2017 models.

You must CHECK VERY CAREFULLY to determine if this is mentioned as you shop for the connector. You want one that is specifically stated to be compatible with the 2017 MBP's.
    Also -- check the user reviews (ALL of them), for experiences from owners of 2017 MBP's, to see if the cable worked for them.

I wouldn't worry about USB-c.
    Not at all.
    Use a regular USB-c charger to charge the computer.