USB C Multiport Adapter - how does work? Expirences with 3rtd Party?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SchodMC, Apr 29, 2016.

1. SchodMC macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a Macbook 2016 m3 an will order it with the USB C digital multiport adapter. I like the fact that I only have to plugin one cable to have charger, monitor and USB Devices pluggd in. Something I always whanted for my MBA. I just have some questions, maybe you can answer:
    • How does the HDMI Adapter work? Is it some kind of pass trough of the internal graphic chip or is it simply an USB graphics card that makes the job?
    • Same for the USB port - pass through or an own USB hub inside?
    • Will it be a problem if I plug an USB 3 hub (powerd) to add two external USB HDDs?
    • How is your experience with third party adapters? My seller has one and says, that they are using it too without problems. It's 30 bucks cheaper than the original Apple. Or will it be better directly went to the Apple because of quality / compatibility?
    Thanks and have a nice day
    Marc

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

HDMI output is native. It is not compressed over usb.

USB is just a direct extension of the usb bus inside the computer. It does not have a tremendous amount of power supplied to it. I typically have my adapter at my desk with a 3-port usb/ethernet hub attached. It can drive a HDD, my headphone amp, and one other lower powered device. Beyond that it runs out of power. If your hub has its own power supply, it should do better.

There are lots of interesting devices becoming available right now, but none of them have great reviews and all seem to have one issue or another. I would personally still probably go with the Apple one for best reliability, but I am definitely interested in all these other devices that are coming out because I've not yet found my perfect single device. (I'd like to have one hub with several usb, ethernet, displayport, and charging all in one. With a detachable cable.)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

If interested in the Apple adapter, depending on where you are there might be substantial savings to be have buying a lightly used one from eBay.

I've yet to buy one as I've not had a definite need, plus I'm a bit like zhenya and am holding out for a perfect solution to show up. :)

4. youngturk macrumors newbie

youngturk

Check dell Usb c hub with vga/hdmi/ethernet/usb. It is my total solution for my needs.

5. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

There's an Anker one on Amazon for $60, I would highly recommend. 2 USB, HDMI, and pass through charging.

6. SchodMC thread starter macrumors member

I already saw it and I still thinking in buying that dock. But I read that some people had problems with the HDMI functionallity and some USB drives. And that all USB drives pluged will be unmounted and mounted again when removing the power. Do you have the same problem?

7. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems. Anker also has a great warranty and what you're describing sounds more like a faulty device