iPad Pro USB C on updated 2018 iPad Pro??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by omelet1978, Oct 9, 2018.

1. omelet1978 macrumors member

Hi,

So I’m seeing stuff on the iPad Pro going to USB C. Does that mean no more lightning port for charging or a secondary USB C port?

I went and bought a few USB C chargers to fast charge my iPad Pro. They weren’t cheap, so that is why I’m asking.

2. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

Single USB C Port will replace lightning based on rumors. There are also some rumors saying that iPad will still be lightning but come with lightning to USB C cable.

3. cmaier macrumors G4

This will suck for those of us who travel with lightning headphones.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Upgrade to AirPods. Or wait for AirPods2. They’re worth the money.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

A sign it’s coming on iPhones next year I bet

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

Greenmeenie

If the upcoming iPad pros go with usb-c then I won’t be buying the iPhone Xs max like I planned. Chances are, next years iPhone will go usb-c as well. But I will definitely be buying one of the new iPad pros if they are announced this month.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I never understood why iPad didn't change over to Thunderbolt 3 - like the 2016 thru 2018 MBP. Seems smarter for Apple to use one connector among all their products.

8. spacebro macrumors 6502

They'll probably go zero-port wireless charging before the change to usb-c is completed.

9. blufire95 macrumors member

I hope that they will include an USB-C to Lightning Cable and that the Lightning Port ist capable of USB 3.1. So you could use all of your lightning accessories and still get fast charging etc. out of the box.

10. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

Greenmeenie

I don’t think so. Wireless charging pads are fine for home...but when traveling, who wants to lug that around? Much easier to bring a small charger.

11. spacebro macrumors 6502

Because you will start seeing these pads in public and public outlets will start disappearing.

12. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

Have no fear, I’m sure Apple will make and be willing to sell you a dongle to solve your problem. But I do agree with others, the AirPods are worth the $.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I was thinking the new iPads will be using USB-C this year.

14. fokmik macrumors 68030

Intel has thunderbolt 3....so its impossible on ipads that are not using intel cpu but Apple A chips
    And even with Intel cpu into ipads, still need space for alpine ridge, remember not even the 12" Macbook doesnt have tb3 because of the space and because Intel still not have 4.5W cpu with built in TB3

15. eagerwu macrumors member

Exactly what I thought. Definitely usb-c on iPhone next year if it’s used on iPad this year.

16. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

If they did switch to USB-C that doesn’t mean you need a new charger, just a new cable. USB-C to USB-C instead of USB-C to Lightning.

17. fokmik macrumors 68030

i really think that if apple will bring usbC to ipad...i wonder if Apple can bring Apple display to can be powered by the next iPad ? probably apple display will be 5k 60hz...i wonder how much bandwidth can deliver that usbC ?! what do you think?
    sadly TB3 is an intel thing so thats out of the question

18. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I'll prefece this by saying that I'd love to be wrong as someone planning to buy the next iPad pro.

I just don't see Apple switching to USB-C. If this was a direction they were going, it would have made more sense to do it last year with the iPhone X. They make tons of money from licencing the lightning connector to the 3rd part accessories market. For headphones they want you to buy airpods. for file transfer they want you to use airdrop or iCloud. For video output they want you to use airplay. I'd love USB-C but I don't see how Apple would view it as necessary for their product to compete.

19. fokmik macrumors 68030

since Apple is working on an new Display for the next mac pro, i guess they want for users to offer the possibility to connect the ipad pro to their displays or other modern display...now i heard they can do it with usbC no problem to drive an 4k@60hz and 5k@32hz and also to connect ONLY with their next apple display (thanks to a new technology) wireless but probably at 30Hz