USB C or 3.1 hub?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ramias, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Ramias macrumors newbie

my first machine with USB C ports. And I still have many legacy USB 3/A devices.

I think I hit the Bluetooth issue others have commented on when I first booted my machine and stuck on a USB 3 (with its separate power supple) adapter for an old SATA blu ray drive. But I don’t use thst very often.

But I do need more ports for my USB 3 devices. Should I get a regular usb hub, a usb c to A hub, or a regular hub with separate power supply? Which is least likely to give interference and be most reliable? Will usb c hubs supply enough power from the C bus? Not sure I want a full usb 3 docking station with ports at this time.

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Least likely to cause interference is to use a USB 2.0 cable and hub. Use for your low speed devices like keyboards and printers.

3. user_xyz macrumors regular

user_xyz

Any particular reason for a 2.0 hub vesus a 3.0 hub??

Thanks

4. Cheapassmac macrumors regular

A lot of usb c to A hubs don't require external power as usb c spec provides enough for anything that doesn't require external power in the first place. I wouldn't bother with a USB 2.0 hub, less power delivery and slower. The only things that might not get powered would have external power options anyway (hard drives in particular, not ssds). You'd probably be fine with a usb c - a hub.

Amazon sells a Lenovo USB C to A hub for only 18 bucks. AUKEY off brand for 15 bucks.

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

It's always been USB3 that people have been having problems with interference. I don't remember any complaints about 2.0. They run at different frequencies.

6. TETENAL macrumors regular

You can simply buy new cables for your old devices. That's what I did (USB-C to Micro-USB-3 for my hard drives in my case).

7. archer75 macrumors 68020

amazon basics. USB-C 3.1 to 4 port USB-A. $15. I bought one and it works well.

8. madrag macrumors 6502

Like @archer75 I also bought a USB-C 3.1 to 4 port USB-A, works great.