USB-C port Concern

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TImm3h, Mar 16, 2015.

1. TImm3h macrumors newbie

So what happens if the one USB-C port breaks? Either by a cable being shoved in too hard, the corner gets hit / dropped, someone shoves the wrong cable in, or someone maliciously shoves a pen in there.

Is the laptop garbage at that point? I assume it is part of the core logic board.

There is a super thin piece of silicone in there and it is bound to break easy. I don't know why they couldn't have designed it like a lightning cable, where the breakable piece is on the cheap cable and not the expensive hardware.

At least for now there are other options like the macbook pro... or a Windows computer.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you've got all this stress over something not even out there yet? what happens if you break the magsafe connector on your current mac? what happens if you break the thunderbolt port? what happens if someone sticks a microsoft surface in the usb port? what happens if...you get the idea.

the panic levels in the macbook forum are a riot. all this for a mac none of us have even gotten our hands on yet... :rolleyes:

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Like on the current laptops, that port will become useless . So, yes, your laptop will be dead until it is fixed.

I have never broken a USB port, and the USB-c seems like a better design

4. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

The logic board doesn't stretch the full width of the laptop, it's only the central 4 inches or so. Therefore the port should be replaceable without changing the whole logic board. Id guess it's just the port and a cable linking it to the board.

5. newellj macrumors 601

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

With the Lightning port, the retention mechanism is in the host. That is what is most likely to break. It is not done as you say.

7. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

I doubt it's connected to the logic board. Like any laptop, a broken port will require a repair. Other laptops power ports are susceptible to breakage ... even those utilizing MagSafe.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Look at this image....the USB-C appears to be on it's own tiny little board (upper left...click pic to enlarge)

[​IMG]

9. lchlch macrumors 6502a

The usb c port is very durable. Its rated at 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles :eek:

To put that into perspective, the typical usb port (Type A) is rated at 1,500 connect-disconnect cycles.

10. Mildredop macrumors 68020

This was my first thought when I saw it. But then I also assumed people much more intelligent that me designed it and know what works better.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Looking at that picture they could have put a second port on the right side in the same place. Why not?

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Something left for a 2016 announcement? - the thinnest, lightest laptop ever with 2 USB-C ports!! We have already seen this movie with the MBA in 2009..

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's where the headphone jack is

14. newellj macrumors 601

The 2008 roll-out is worth watching, and check the specs, and the price. The rMB is a powerhouse, and a bargain, measured against the 2008 MBA...not trying to be humorous here.

15. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Re usb

Exactly the point I keep trying to make.

Just as the first version of the MacBook air was divisive, considered underpowered and too few ports, but has developed into a really fantastic, good value machine, I firmly believe we will see the same happen to the new MacBook over the next couple of versions.

And the early adopters will just have a really sexy mac to play with before the rest of us :)

16. Jkj12 macrumors member

Agree. How often do ports break? I haven't experienced broken port. Lots of broken cables and plugs though..

17. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Another USB-C question

When my new MacBook arrives, from where can I get the necessary cables to make use of the USB-C port?

I'll need a USB-C to USB3 (?) cable in order to use my external HDD, and USB-C to micro USB to charge my phone.

Looking on Amazon, I can't find anything.

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Look on the Apple store the are listed, and will be available a launch.

Q-6

19. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I'd rather not buy Apple ones, but I'll have a look nonetheless. Is Q-6 a code I should use?

Edit: All I can find is an adaptor, not a cable.

20. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Q-6 is his self identified name.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like with a rMBP, you'll need to get the logic board replaced. Unlike the rMBP, you don't have other ports to rely on. If you damage the USB port by dropping it, then I'm going to suggest that there will be other issues with the laptop and a broken USB port will be the least of your concern.

22. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I don't think so. The logic board sits by itself in the middle of the notebook while the USB-C port has its own little circuit right near the connector. I don't think it would be that expensive to replace (it won't be nearly as expensive as it would be if you had to replace the whole logic board).

23. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Oh, I see! How sad.

24. Queen6, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Says the guy who cant even find an adaptor or cable for USB C :rolleyes:

Q-6

25. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket