USB-C port gone for ATV 4K?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tywebb13, Sep 12, 2017.

1. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Is the usb-c port gone for the atv 4k?

Can't see it anywhere.

Tech specs page https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/ lists ports and interfaces as:

Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI 2.0a

802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz)

Gigabit Ethernet

Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology

IR receiver

Built‑in power supply

So this is very concerning if there is in fact no longer a usb-c port.

How on earth can you do a clean install of the full ipsw files for betas?

Whilst most people update via ota, developers will still have to be able to do clean installs from ipsw files.

Can't see how you could do it via hdmi or ethernet either.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe there is still a usb-c port hidden somewhere on it.

Hope there is!

2. sigftw macrumors regular

sigftw

How am I supposed to record tvOS app reviews? USB C was so much easier... :/

3. darkarn macrumors 6502a

Get a game recording/streaming device that can take in HDMI and you should be fine

4. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

Da f** ... no USB-C port anymore on the 4K model ? It has GigE. Interesting move, no more sideloading of e.g. Kodi.

5. x-evil-x, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Just checked and looks correct. I bet they will use the HDMI 2.0a3 port for the same thing. just need an hdmi to usb cable I'm assuming

6. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have had second thoughts about this.

Someone suggested in another thread that it could be done over ethernet.

I refuted that suggestion.

However I now think that maybe it actually could be done via hdmi - like you said via an hdmi to usb cable.

Problem is there has been zero clarity from apple on this. As usual, effective communication of specific detail on something as fundamental as being able to restore the device - via some sort of cable - has been lacking.

They might be good with technology, but they are really bad at communicating.

If apple are not going to improve their communication skills on this (and other issues) then it will be up to the rest of us to ascertain the details.

But why should it be up to the rest of us? Can't they just tell us?

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Funny that they kept the USB-C port on the non-4K model.

8. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I am not particularly excited with this. New MBPs come only with USB-C. This TV device should have had a USB-C so I can use a USB-C to USB-C cable that Apple itself provides with the notebooks and I do. not need any other cable.

But hey, economy.

I am generally okay with what they do, but this is .. :mad:

9. ralphdov macrumors newbie

USB-C port was mainly used to connect the apple TV to a mac. If you are a developper using XCode, that's let you test your app that is still under developpement on the apple TV.

Since version 9 of XCode, it is now possible to send an application to the apple TV through the network (using wifi or ethernet). Therefore the USB-C port is no longer needed.

https://developer.apple.com/library...Conceptual/WhatsNewXcode/xcode_9/xcode_9.html

10. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I have little knowledge of Apple TV. So I may be wrong:

My thoughts were that USB C port could be used to transfer data to the Apple TV as well as create a physical connection if I didn't want to Airplay my movies from Mac to Apple TV.

11. ralphdov macrumors newbie

USB-C on Apple TV is a "maintenance service port". The official way the apple TV is supposed to communicate is through network (wifi or ethernet), even in the 4th generation which has a usb-c port.

12. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

so what happens if you brick your ATV and need to DFU restore it? Can this now be done over the network or will I have to take it into an Apple retail store?

13. ralphdov macrumors newbie

That's a good question.

14. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Aha! That is a good question I'd like to know. Frankly India isn't known for high speed internet so I am sensitive towards the time it takes to download gigabytes of data. We do have unlimited though with some providers.

15. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Hell I had bought a USB C cord especially for my Apple TV! Now that's a waste! Also, Apple TV was used to connect with iTunes too. I tried that the first day! Now how do I restore my device?

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Hopefully this is good news. I prefer over the network updates and this kind of forces that to happen. Maybe with Bluetooth 5??? I do not know the difference of 4 vs 5. Or maybe a WiFi Direct Connection. Trying to stay positive.