USB C questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leopardlady, Mar 17, 2015.

1. leopardlady macrumors newbie

Just been reading the thread re: security issues with USB C, does this mean that if I'm at my daughters I shouldn't use her charger (if she had one)? I realise that its data transfer as well as a charger but don't see the issue with a "known" charger.

Also if you buy the £15 usb c to usb converter would you not be able to use cheaper usb multi ports, usb card readers etc. without buying the expensive apple one?

Is there any pre-order for the macbook or just straight purchase on April 10th?

Thanks

2. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Security issues? Only if you connect via another computer's powered USB port to charge. Remember you will essentially be making both a network and a power connection.

There will be nothing wrong with using another charger that has the proper volt and watt. It will be like charging the iPad from another charger. No are asking will Apple warranty your rMB should you plug it into a charger which fries the circuit? Same problem today, except only Apple can make the Mag safe connector.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Of course it's fine. The problem would only occur if you plugged it into a charger that had been deliberately designed to infect your computer. Your daughter's isn't going to be (we assume!). Dangers could exist if there were such a thing as a provided USB-C charging cable at a coffee shop or hotel or airport (and that device had been compromised by someone). Although I've never seen such a thing anyway, but there are more and more USB ports provided in cars and hotel rooms so it would presumably be possible that one of those could be made into a hacking source.

4. leopardlady thread starter macrumors newbie

Any help on the other queries, please?

5. lchlch macrumors 6502a

If you use the usb-c to usb converter you can plugin anything that work with usb. Including hubs, card reader, etc. Its not a proprietary connection so you're free to use anything you want.

I think it'll be so sale on the 10th.

6. leopardlady thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had thought that in usual apple style we would have to buy apple accessories, so really you could just buy the £15 adapter and plug a 4 way usb adapter into it, so really no need to buy the £65 multi port adapter.

7. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Actually if you want to save a few dollars, you can buy googles usb-c to usb adapter. it'll work just as well.

8. crystalsetc macrumors newbie

Using USB C for DCI/VGA and charging at same time?

Hi Folks-

This is the setup I want and I wanted to know if it would work and how I would go about acquiring the correct products to make it happen. I do digital graphic work and want to use the computer as a powered output (Lid closed but still doing its thing). I was wondering how I would go about charging it and projecting VGA/DVI out at the same time.

Will the M processor (upgraded one) be enough to handle the latest current release of photoshop?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

9. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

your logic is ALMOST perfect.

however you can plug in as many USB as you can, but how are you going to charge it while using those devices?

You think Apple is stupid when they demand 80 dollars for those adapters? They know you will end up buying it because it doesn't offer you a way of charging it and use external device UNLESS you fork over for that ridiculous amount of money

----------

if you plan to do any type of serious work, I say go with a MBA if weight is important or just get a MBP.

Will it run photoshop? Most likely yes

will it run well?? I highly doubt that after a few filters.

10. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

How many things will you be able to connect to one and the same USB-C port? How many things can it power?

11. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Crystal

Why are you bothering with a MB at all?

The Mac Mini is perfect for what you are proposing.
    1. There's no lid to worry about.
    2. It's light and small.
    3. It's a whole lot cheaper for more performance.
    4. It does all that you want.
    5. It is very sturdy!
    6. No power brick.

Sometimes I think the glamor of having the laptop is more of a driver than what we really use it for. I use a 2010 Mac mini as a transportable light weight and strong computer for conference calling.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Many of us actually need a computer to take with us on the go. There's a great thing about being able to use your laptop as a desktop at home, but be able to unplug and take it on the road with you. However, I don't think the rMB would work for the person you quoted.

13. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

PD

I use a laptop on the go, but somethings aren't do all machines and what I am proposing is to get the very portable mini, which will do all the poster requires.