Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Can I use any USB-C cable to charge my MBP?

I'm using the official charger but could do with a cable that's a bit longer. Would a 3rd-party 3m cable plugged into the official charger be fine? Or are there issues like there were using 3rd-party Magsafe chargers?

I also see mention of USB-C 2.0? I assume that's what's required for a cable?

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO

I'm using the official charger but could do with a cable that's a bit longer. Would a 3rd-party 3m cable plugged into the official charger be fine? Or are there issues like there were using 3rd-party Magsafe chargers?

I also see mention of USB-C 2.0? I assume that's what's required for a cable?

You can use any cable with the provided power adapter.

USB-C refers to the connector. 2.0 refers to data transfer speeds. Doesn’t apply to charging.

Reactions: chabig

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Thanks! I assume 2.0 is the latest anyway? (I might as well get a fast data cable if I'm getting it anyway).

Is there no worry about cable length or quality of cable? (i.e. is it like HDMI where any is fine or can cheap ones cause problems?)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Sorry, but the previous answer is not even wrong.

Virtually all "USB-C" cables will charge your MBP to some degree, but not all will deliver the full 85W that a 15" MacBook Pro can eat. Some will only deliver 15W, some 60W, some up to 100W.

You shouldn't be able to burn-out the cable - USB-C won't deliver more than the cable is rated for - but the lower-power cables make charge it more slowly and may not be able to keep it 'topped up' while you're using it. Ideally, look for a 60W (13" MBPs) or 100W (15" MBPs) - capable cable. If a cable doesn't say what power it can deliver, assume that it is only 15W.

E.g. this cable supports 60W so it should be fine for a 13" MBP: https://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F2CD081/ but might not keep a 15" MBP fully charged up while you're using it. This one, however, https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-USB-Type-C-Gen1-Cable/dp/B01GGKYWRE- only supports 15W (3A at 5V - yes folks, you need Physics 101 to choose the right USB cable now...)

I also see mention of USB-C 2.0?

A "USB-C 2.0" cable (pedantically, there's no such thing - its a USB-C cable with USB 2.0 support - but tell that to the people selling them) only supports the oldest, slowest USB 2.0 data transfer rates - and not USB 3.1, DisplayPort etc. If you're only going to use it for charging that doesn't matter, but but don't get it mixed up with cables that you might use to connect hard drives, displays, hubs/docks etc. Apples "charge cables" are like that (or used to be, and since they've now removed any suggestion of technical specifications from the store I have to assume they still are).

Don't you love how having a single connector that does it all makes things so simple :) ?
[doublepost=1558892510][/doublepost]
Is there no worry about cable length or quality of cable? (i.e. is it like HDMI where any is fine or can cheap ones cause problems?)

Pick one from a reputable brand or with good non-fake reviews or recommendations. A while back there was a serious problem with dud USB cables that could seriously damage computers - Amazon, Ebay et. al. have had a bit of a clampdown since then but I'd avoid anything that looks too cheap.

Reactions: Broric
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.