USB-C SSD enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcojr, Sep 29, 2017.

1. marcojr macrumors newbie

marcojr

Hi ! I've a MBP Pro 13" Retina where the SSD delivers 1.4gb/s with is very good !

I've a need to use a VM with mac os as well. I placed the VM in an external mechanic hard drive, but the performance is very disappointing. Mac OS hosting other MAC OS usually is a bad experience even if the VM are hosted in your own mac internal SSD.

So, I need to reach the most possible speed for an external SSD. So, can someone suggest me a good combo of SSD enclosure + ssd drive to archive the most similar performance of my internal SSD ?

ty !

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

Welcome to the Forums!

I only use Samsung SSDs, buying when they're on a promotion. Pros in my Macs/PCs and EVOs in storage usage (enclosures/ingest stations). I use my EVOs for both VMs and for scratch disks (CAD/video/PS).

My two portables are an 500GB 850 EVO in either a Sabrent or NexStar USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure. $140 for the disk, $15 for the enclosure. At $155-$160 for the combo, the introduction of the Samsung T5 has pushed the T3 on sale for $160-170, the T3 is just as zippy as the combo I'm using in a far more compact form factor. The speed limitations of the SATA III controller/interface and USB 3/3.1 keeps units like these at a ceiling, even the new T5 is about the same throughput. My 2¢.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

USB-C, even 3.1 gen 2, when fully saturated, cannot come even close to your internal SSD - you would need to leverage Thunderbolt 3 and the power of m.2 NVM express SSDs, which are limited in selection and heavy on the wallet. That said, I run VMs off of SATA 6.0 SSDs (getting about 525 MB/s read, and 500 MB/s write), and the performance is outstanding.

I currently use SanDisk Extreme PRO and Samsung 850 PRO SSDs in Oyen Digital eSATA enclosures for my VMs. The less-expensive Samsung 850 EVO gives near identical performance and it is an outstanding drive. I use the Oyen USB-C 3.1 gen 2 enclosure as well, and am extremely satisfied with the quality of their products and the chipsets they use in them.

4. HaddockW macrumors member

I have this one.. Reads/Writes about 850 MB/sec. I’ve gotten it up to 900MB.. Total Price $330

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Good luck with an Oyen Digital Minipro and standard Samsung 850 series. A Samsung T5 gets a little better, but nothing with get you internal speed until there's a reasonable way to plug in 950 type Express cards with or without raid. Good luck

6. GuilleA macrumors regular

GuilleA

Like everyone said, if you need faster than ~500MB/s, you need to go either NVME M.2 and some sort of Thunderbolt enclosure or do a RAID0 of a couple of SATA SSDs. However, a Samsung T3, a T5 or a WD My Passport SSD should work perfectly for your kind of needs.