• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with four usb-c ports. I have connected a third party USB-C to Ethernet (Gigabyte) adapter but I am not able to connect to the Internet with it although I can easily connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Kindly let me know if I need to download software from the vendor of this adapter of from Apple to support this device.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with four usb-c ports. I have connected a third party USB-C to Ethernet (Gigabyte) adapter but I am not able to connect to the Internet with it although I can easily connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Kindly let me know if I need to download software from the vendor of this adapter of from Apple to support this device.
You probably need a driver. You may need to disable SIP, if the driver isn’t signed.

Comment

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
When I bought this adapter I thought it would be plug and play. But then I realized it came with a driver CD. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Internet and it installed successfully and asked me to reboot the Macbook. However after reboot I entered the password and the system just hung up. It would not go the desktop. Finally I had to reinstall the Mac OS Mojave to get the system working. The USB-C to Ethernet adapter is still not working. My Macbook Pro has 4 ThunderBolt-3 Ports. Is it because the adapter is compatible with only Thunderbolt-2 ports? On the specifications in the adapter case there is no mention of thunderbolt.

You mentioned that I should disable SIP. Kindly let me know how I can do so. I would like to give it another try.

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
When I bought this adapter I thought it would be plug and play. But then I realized it came with a driver CD. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Internet and it installed successfully and asked me to reboot the Macbook. However after reboot I entered the password and the system just hung up. It would not go the desktop. Finally I had to reinstall the Mac OS Mojave to get the system working. The USB-C to Ethernet adapter is still not working. My Macbook Pro has 4 ThunderBolt-3 Ports. Is it because the adapter is compatible with only Thunderbolt-2 ports? On the specifications in the adapter case there is no mention of thunderbolt.

You mentioned that I should disable SIP. Kindly let me know how I can do so. I would like to give it another try.
At this point I would just return it and try a different adapter known to work on MacOS.

Comment

Ryjobe36

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
i read thru this thread... i bought the same belkin usb-c to gigabit ethernet adapter and it is not plug and play. i see some settings in the network settings but it still isnt working. Belkin site dioestn seem to have any info or drivers..? Any settings, advice, tips?

Comment

LoveMyMac513

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
HELP! I have the Macbook pro 2019. bought a hyper drive port, everything worked but the ethernet port. so i bought a Uni usb-c to gigabit ethernet which had plenty of reviews saying it was plug and play on the MBP2019, but it didnt work. so i gave in and bought the belkin usb-c to gigabit ethernet adapter, and it does the same crap! connects for a hot minute, maybe longer, but the second i disable the wifi and go to use the web browser it disconnects and wont reconnect without wifi being turned back on... like HELLO!?!?! theres no need to use ethernet if wifi is on, so WTF? I want ethernet!

i see it in my system report, ive deleted it and added it to network settings, ive renewed the DHCP, disabled/enabled SIP and installed a RealTek driver even though everything said i didnt need to, you name ive tried it! Ive been messing with this for 3 weeks now and ive gotten no where!
How has no one been able to provide an answer that works???
im about to reset my entire computer to factory settings and just load my data from my time capsule.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.