USB-C to Gigabyte ethernet adapter not working

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with four usb-c ports. I have connected a third party USB-C to Ethernet (Gigabyte) adapter but I am not able to connect to the Internet with it although I can easily connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Kindly let me know if I need to download software from the vendor of this adapter of from Apple to support this device.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with four usb-c ports. I have connected a third party USB-C to Ethernet (Gigabyte) adapter but I am not able to connect to the Internet with it although I can easily connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Kindly let me know if I need to download software from the vendor of this adapter of from Apple to support this device.
You probably need a driver. You may need to disable SIP, if the driver isn’t signed.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
When I bought this adapter I thought it would be plug and play. But then I realized it came with a driver CD. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Internet and it installed successfully and asked me to reboot the Macbook. However after reboot I entered the password and the system just hung up. It would not go the desktop. Finally I had to reinstall the Mac OS Mojave to get the system working. The USB-C to Ethernet adapter is still not working. My Macbook Pro has 4 ThunderBolt-3 Ports. Is it because the adapter is compatible with only Thunderbolt-2 ports? On the specifications in the adapter case there is no mention of thunderbolt.

You mentioned that I should disable SIP. Kindly let me know how I can do so. I would like to give it another try.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
When I bought this adapter I thought it would be plug and play. But then I realized it came with a driver CD. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Internet and it installed successfully and asked me to reboot the Macbook. However after reboot I entered the password and the system just hung up. It would not go the desktop. Finally I had to reinstall the Mac OS Mojave to get the system working. The USB-C to Ethernet adapter is still not working. My Macbook Pro has 4 ThunderBolt-3 Ports. Is it because the adapter is compatible with only Thunderbolt-2 ports? On the specifications in the adapter case there is no mention of thunderbolt.

You mentioned that I should disable SIP. Kindly let me know how I can do so. I would like to give it another try.
At this point I would just return it and try a different adapter known to work on MacOS.

EmmEff

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
FWIW, the Belkin USB-C to Gb Ethernet works great and is plug-and-play. I actually use mine with a USB-A to USB-C adapter on my old MacBook Air.