Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I'm guessing the USB-C to Lightning cable combined with the 29W charger will charge the phone faster than a lightning cable and 12W plug?

Or will the phone be capped at 12W?

Since I'm from the UK, i couldn't chat with the online sales guys in the USA to confirm this...

Anyone know?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The phone can charge at whatever the rate that the phone supports, which isn't currently going to be 29W fast charging that only the larger iPad Pro supports (not even the smaller newer one).

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
The phone can charge at whatever the rate that the phone supports, which isn't currently going to be 29W fast charging that only the larger iPad Pro supports (not even the smaller newer one).

I understand it wont have fast charging or support 29W but what is the max it can draw? 12W? 15W? 20W?

Would be useful to know if its worth getting the plug and cable if its possible to charge faster....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand it wont have fast charging or support 29W but what is the max it can draw? 12W? 15W? 20W?

Would be useful to know if its worth getting the plug and cable if its possible to charge faster....
As I recall it can charge at up to 2.1A, which I believe would mean 12W max.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Just get the 12W charging brick. It's been proven it is the fastest charger of all the non-usbc bricks.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Old thread I know, but I have a question about these. Might seem obvious to some, but I just wanted to check to be totally sure - if I already had one of these 29w bricks and a USB-C to Lightning cable lying around, and I used it to charge my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4, it wouldn't like, cause any damage to the devices or the adapter/cable, right?

I'm always paranoid about devices and chargers overheating and whatnot and since the cables themselves look so similar when you're not looking at the bricks, I just want to make sure in case I accidentally plug my smaller devices into that cable at some point.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Old thread I know, but I have a question about these. Might seem obvious to some, but I just wanted to check to be totally sure - if I already had one of these 29w bricks and a USB-C to Lightning cable lying around, and I used it to charge my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4, it wouldn't like, cause any damage to the devices or the adapter/cable, right?

I'm always paranoid about devices and chargers overheating and whatnot and since the cables themselves look so similar when you're not looking at the bricks, I just want to make sure in case I accidentally plug my smaller devices into that cable at some point.
No, the device requests whatever amount of power it needs. It will never receive more than that. You should be more worried about shoddy power adapters than higher wattage power adapters. A side note though, the iPhone 6s does not charge noticeable faster on a higher wattage power adapter, compared to the one included with it. The iPhone 6, 6+, and 6s+ do though.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Thanks @bhayes444! I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure if I was confusing things, so you definitely put my mind at ease.

You should be more worried about shoddy power adapters than higher wattage power adapters.

I very much am, which is why all the power adapters I have in the house are stock Apple ones. But it's nice to know that once I get an iPad Pro, using the larger ones won't damage my smaller devices. At that point most of my smaller iPhone and iPad chargers will be several years old so I might even replace them with other 29w adapters to reduce confusion and to prevent me from accidentally trying to charge the Pro with an adapter that's not big enough.

A side note though, the iPhone 6s does not charge noticeable faster on a higher wattage power adapter, compared to the one included with it. The iPhone 6, 6+, and 6s+ do though.

You know, I noticed there was difference when I got my iPhone 6s (I'd had the 6 before that) but thought it was just my device. It's good to know its not! I wonder why that is though? Weird!!

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Just anecdotally in my experience, the 10 watt charger seemed faster to reach about 75% capacity on my 6S Plus, then it slowed down to about same pace as the 5 watt one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.