USB-C to USB adapter or USB-C to Lighting Cable???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appurushido, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Appurushido, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

Appurushido macrumors regular

Which one would be better for transferring files quicker, USB-C to USB or USB-C to Lighting Cable? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: For transferring photos and videos and also backing up on iTunes from my iPhone to MacBook Pro w/TB.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I don't think there will be much difference between a dedicated USB-C to lightning cable vs an adapter. Lightning, to the best of my knowledge, is limited to USB 2.0 speeds on the iPhones. It may have been upgraded to USB 3.0 for the iPad Pro models. Again, no difference between adapter versus dedicated cable though...

3. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

Use an adapter. Anker makes decent one for $9.99.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you get the adapter, you can use it on -other cables-, as well.

5. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

If you get a USB-C to Lightening cable it will allow fast charging of your iPads when connected to your MacBook Pro charger. I thought that I had read somewhere in the past that it allows faster data transfer as well compared with a USB-A Lightening cable. Having the USB-C to Lightening cable also means one less dongle to lose.

6. Appurushido, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

Appurushido thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone use the regular Apple branded USB-C to USB adapter? Was looking at reviews on Apples Web store and it's getting hammered in the comments section. Wondering if I should just buy a USB-C to Lightning at this point, unless someone can talk me out of it.

7. Patcell macrumors 6502

Do not by the Apple-branded one! I have no experience with it, but it is very expensive for what you get. I got the AmazonBasics USB-c to USB-A adapter. I use it everyday; works great.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...=8-6&keywords=amazonbasics+usb+c+adapter&th=1
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2017 ---
    Oh crap... they appear to be backorder for a couple months. Regardless, there are much cheaper options on Amazon that will work just fine for a simple USB adapter.

8. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

I got the Anker version. Works great. No Wifi issues.

9. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Anker dual pack for 9.99. Simple and can be used on much more than just your lightning cable