USB-C to USB-C cable that charges EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marmiteturkey, May 15, 2017.

1. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I have the apple charge cable; and the Anker Powerline USB-C-USB-C cable. Both charge my macbook fine, but neither will charge my Anker PowerCore or M&D MW50 headphones from an apple 61w USB-C power brick. Both the USB-C devices charge from a range of USB-C to USB-A cables.

I'm told it's a cable compatibility issue with fast-charge cables. Can anyone explain more, or suggest a 6ft USB-C to USB-C cable that will charge every USB-C device?

2. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Only the OEM Apple cable can charge at 100w, and is 6ft. It only supports USB 2.0 data transfer speeds, however. You might need a different brick, in order to best charge the non-Apple devices.

3. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

AmazonBasics C-to-C cables have USB-IF certification and have been tested by Benson fully receiving his blessing.
    You can pick your own version, whether 2.0 or 3.1 superspeed (thicker cable).

4. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

5. marmiteturkey thread starter macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Thanks - pretty sure I've ruled out the brick as the issue - I've tried charging the 'phones with the cable from the MacBook directly and that doesn't work either. M&D have told me that certain 'fast charge' cables are not compatible with the headphones. They are testing some other cables to see what USB-c to c cables might work; I'm tempted to pick up one of Benson's 3.1 recommendations to see if the 'phones are looking for a data pin connection that's not made in the fast-charge cables...